russian and italian language channels

iceburn

Reaction score
I found this discussion site by mistake (quite glad I did). And it seem you are quite knowledgeable and helpful. Currently I have a .8m disc pointing (just recently gone out of alignment) to 13degree east eutalsat hotbird connected to a 1.2 diseqc COMAQ decoder with a VIACCESS CAM. Since the system has gone out of alignment, hence I need to get someone in to sort it out (I am no good with setting satellites, I am thinking to upgrade the system by motorise it . Hence am I right in thinking that the best system would be to buy a V-BOX to convert the 1.2 diseqc signals to 36V. (got that impression from reading previous posts but I might of got the wrong end of the stick.) Would it be worth changing the disc size from .8m normal to .9 Elipitical (can't spell) disc to just pick up mainly russian, Italian and if possible english programmes (last one not really important.) Lastly cause of my hugely inexperience in satellite system can someone recommend a person to install a motorise system in Swansea area?

NB: My wife who is russian was a bit upset with me, when I orginally had the system install and working cause we could get many channels from the hotbird system, expect RTR planeta, but her mother who live in Italy could pick it up perfectly. Is the reason I could not pick it up cause the disc was too small, the decoder no good, or cause the disc was not correctly align, or cause of the weather climate here in Swansea?

psats

Reaction score
{1} a v box is not a reciever its for converting diseque to pulse
{2} there are free to air italian chnls on 13e that should be available with a 80 dish
{3} most of the russian chnls are on 5e and they should be available on a dish of your size but as the saying goes bigger is better

psats

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
First, I agree that you should consider 13east Hotbird for the Italien (loads of it) as well as russian (RTR Planeta.ORT1int, and don´t forget Armenia1) as well as 5east for more free russian.
However, a Motor might be overkill for that.You say that your reciever got diseq1.2, then you will need nothing else but a diseq motor.It will operate over your existing cable and is very cheap. However, having said that, the cost will come with the installation. Setting up a motorised system will cost quite a bit more then the equipement (I know, I install them :-)) So I recommend a simple 2LNB Setup on one dish with a diseq switch.Cheap and cheerful. Dishsize of 90cm should be enough with a seperation of only 8 degrees.
Your problems with RTR come probably because some recievers (I do not know yours) have problems with the pids on that specific channel,sometimes it´s enough to leave it on the channel for a few minutes and it apears or go on the channel, switch the box off and back on.
Also of course try to put in the pids manually.
Good luck and sunny greetings
C

iceburn

Reaction score
thank you two for your replies. I know the Vbox is not a recviewer but a converter to change disq 1.2 signals to pulse which 36v motor systems could use. The thing I got told / read gave the impression that a 36v motor system is more reliable in speed, accurate and most important against wind loads. Hence the extra cost of £50 for the vbox and say £40 extra it would cost to get a 36v motor version over a 1.2 disq than isn't it money well spent? But it seem maybe not :-) Also to Chris, it might be that problem indeed, so is there any other italian / russian channels on other sat that have similar problem as that? Since if so I might be better buy other decoder for russian tv and put the other one upstairs for italian tv for when her italian family come over.

I found these list of channels on the net.
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Italy.shtml
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Russia.shtm

quite a few on different sat but I am right in thinking (esp for the russian ones) most are outside UK reach unless you live in South east with a 3.5 m disc :-).

NB: I expect the motorise to cost quite a bit to install, cause it is more difficult to setup than a sky disc setup :-). So you have to pay for the expert installer skill / knowledge. but I am thinking that if I motorise it now, in the long run might be worth it, in case channels move sat's, different channels start up, and also I could always browse all the other different channels when I am bored :-)

psats

Reaction score
hi iceburn
the russian esp is on 13e and is a very strong signal
as for RTR have you checked in the menu that you have the corect freqs i get that chnl on both of my recievers with no probs.. {freqs is 11034 / 3/4 /27500 / V} on one reciever im useing a 70 dish

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Well iceburn,if you like to pay for the motor setup, you will never look back, it is well worth it. I loooove to see feeds on obscure satellites,specially also in sad times like now in Iraq, when what is said on the feed before the "live" broadcast sometimes is the complete opposite as what you then see on sky or other "news"channels.
With a good reciever and a matrix reloaded Modul you should get about 15 or so russian channels without problems. 5 east should come in on 80cm. If you think of C-Band, thats frequencies around the 3500marc you will need from 1.8m and up, but its not worth the money.Good luck
C

iceburn

Reaction score
Hi Psats, I would try and follow what you and Chris said about the RTR channel expect my disc setup is not working at the moment :-( cause the disc has yet again move some stupid amount and hence does not pick up the signals. So since I have decided that person orginally could not install it correctly, I will get someone else, and since I am getting it install again, wondering if I should pay the extra and motorise it. To make it mroe futureproof, get more of the feeds, etc.. Anyway it seem it will be a good idea, and will call that dealer I found to come round, survey the place, etc. and go form there :-)