Russian roulette TV stunt may have misled viewers

N

net1

Illusionist Derren Brown may have misled viewers with his Russian roulette stunt on Channel 4 after it emerged that he didn't put his life at risk.

The station had publicised the fact that the programme, in which Brown apparently put a bone fide Smith and Wesson pistol loaded with one bullet, to his head, was being filmed abroad.

The broadcaster gave the impression it was being filmed in a country where guns were permitted.

But today it transpired that the show was filmed on Sunday night in Jersey where gun laws are just as strict as in mainland Britain.

Police on the Channel Islands confirmed that Channel 4 and Brown did not breach the gun laws.

The police got in touch with the broadcaster before the programme went out to ensure unlicensed firearms were not being used.

Channel 4 reassured police in Jersey before the programme was broadcast that there was no danger to anyone involved - suggesting that the TV magician may have used a fake gun.

"Officers spoke to Channel 4 before the programme was aired and were satisfied that there was no danger and no offences were committed," a Jersey police spokesman said.

Nearly 3 million viewers tuned in on Sunday night to see Brown allegedly put his own life at risk by putting a loaded gun to his head.

A members of the public was chosen by Brown to load the gun.

Channel 4 refused to be drawn on whether either the gun or bullet was a fake.

"In making and broadcasting this programme, Channel 4 were very mindful of its responsibilities to ensure the safety of all involved and liaised with the Jersey police in advance of filming there to ensure that no offences were committed," a Channel 4 spokesman said.

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
The show was a fake.

In the preparations they showed how they fired the gun on a bag and the impact to show it was a real gun...

I have been shooting the handguns for 18 years in my life now, on weekly basis, own 4 Guns myself S&W 686 .357 Magnum included...

The spend cartridge casing was black from the top and badly deformed, showing it was a blank.
I reload my own spend cartridges, and have made blanks myself too, with the same result as on telly.

Secondly, when firing into the sandbag, no bullet came out on the backside......

I can assure you that a .357 Magnum round would have penetrated the bag, and made a second hole in the back.

So, nicely done, but fake.

Cheers,

Cor.