S-video out to RGB Scart TV in

Allen1066

Reaction score
Can it be done is the first question, and if so how ?
What other solution do people use for outputting from their PC to a normal TV that has an RGB Scart ?

Thanks,

Allen

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Allen1066 said:
Can it be done is the first question, and if so how ?
What other solution do people use for outputting from their PC to a normal TV that has an RGB Scart ?

Thanks,

Allen

Hi Allen
S- video to RGB convertors are quite expensive. As TV scarts usually have a composite video input, why not convert S-video to composite (suitable adaptors are available e.g. :-
http://www.videocapturecard.com/svideoscart.html

Llew

Allen1066

Reaction score
Hi Llew,

That looks ideal, but what is the quality like compared to RGB ? Is it good enough for using with a PVR system that needs to display menus etc ?

Allen

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Allen1066 said:
Hi Llew,

That looks ideal, but what is the quality like compared to RGB ? Is it good enough for using with a PVR system that needs to display menus etc ?

Allen

The luminance component of the signal is not usually affected, as this is not converted, that is, it's straight through, therefore text is normally OK.
Chrominance signals in the converter go through a bypass capacitor normally so you may find a reduction in colour quality.
It's no substitute for a straight S-video to S-video link, and certainly not for a full RGB connection, but failing these it should be OK.

Llew

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
One thing you might want to be careful of here is that either your graphics card lets you select composite out, even though its through the s-video socket this is normal on nVidia card, i assume they expect you to use an adaptor. Or make sure that your TV support S-AV mode, because otherwise you will find that you can only get a grainy black and white picture, as I did on my little portable when i tried it.

Having said that most tvs these days support S-AV mode.

clarence

Reaction score
if you have a graphics card with a chrontel tvout chip on it you can do a small mod that puts a true rgb signal out. i have done it, it works a treat. there are details on the tvtool website.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I have the skystar 2 satellite card cheaper model with no tv out and a 9800 pro ati graphics card with tv out and super video out. It came with a little yellow adaptor to convert to super video if required. I have used the super video cable successfully and had the desktop picture coming out to the tv and it looks great with the satellite tv card running with progdvb channels in full screen so i saved a good bit by not paying more for the tv out this way,better to buy a better graphics card me thinks :D BUT...... I am not getting any sound coming through the super video channel only picture but it works fine in normal RGB going out through yellow adaptor converting from super video pins to single video out then it goes to scart in video, acceptible results but i was wondering why is the sound signal not being carried properly through the super video cable? video settings are all fine and there is no way to change anything. obviously super video is much better quality so i would prefer this as it does have this capability.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
s*t*a*r*m*a*n said:
I have the skystar 2 satellite card cheaper model with no tv out and a 9800 pro ati graphics card with tv out and super video out. It came with a little yellow adaptor to convert to super video if required. I have used the super video cable successfully and had the desktop picture coming out to the tv and it looks great with the satellite tv card running with progdvb channels in full screen so i saved a good bit by not paying more for the tv out this way,better to buy a better graphics card me thinks :D BUT...... I am not getting any sound coming through the super video channel only picture but it works fine in normal RGB going out through yellow adaptor converting from super video pins to single video out then it goes to scart in video, acceptible results but i was wondering why is the sound signal not being carried properly through the super video cable? video settings are all fine and there is no way to change anything. obviously super video is much better quality so i would prefer this as it does have this capability.

What cable is the S-video terminated with? Mini Din plug? You need of course an audio O/P from your PC too.

Allen1066

Reaction score
AFAIK s-video is just the video signal. As mentioned, you will need to pass the audio out seperately to get sound. I did this with an old Radeon 8500 to play DVDs on my TV.

gateway

Reaction score
dear allen there is a lot of solution to convert rgb to composite video like rgb convertoer which cost u much cheaper than any other agp or pci card.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
the super video ends in a din socket (9 pins or something) just like it is on the other end. i thought it was ment to carry the whole signal including audio? why would i need a separate audio connection? anyway i have the audio coming out of the pc but its going into the audio in jacks on the video left and right so i get the sound on L2 channel SCART 1 (it has 2 scart inputs) but i can only get picture and sound together if i use the rgb out into the scart which carries the picture and audio seperately.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
s*t*a*r*m*a*n said:
the super video ends in a din socket (9 pins or something) just like it is on the other end. i thought it was ment to carry the whole signal including audio? why would i need a separate audio connection? anyway i have the audio coming out of the pc but its going into the audio in jacks on the video left and right so i get the sound on L2 channel SCART 1 (it has 2 scart inputs) but i can only get picture and sound together if i use the rgb out into the scart which carries the picture and audio seperately.

It's most likely an 8-pin DIN. Pins 1&3 should carry L &R Audio as standard.
Souds like a non-standard arrangement - the 8-pin Din normally only carries composite video and audio.
I

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi :) its a 4 pin actually, i was just guessing but surprisingly it is only 4 pins. great picture no sound if connected directly into super video in on video recorder, im happy enough with my tv set up but im fed up giving up on problems like this without knowing why they do not work. surely the cable is carrying the audio signal too? what use would that be if it was not?
i have had this same problem before using my capture card on another pc. picture in to computer using usb connector but no sound.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
s*t*a*r*m*a*n said:
Hi :) its a 4 pin actually, i was just guessing but surprisingly it is only 4 pins. great picture no sound if connected directly into super video in on video recorder, im happy enough with my tv set up but im fed up giving up on problems like this without knowing why they do not work. surely the cable is carrying the audio signal too? what use would that be if it was not?
i have had this same problem before using my capture card on another pc. picture in to computer using usb connector but no sound.

Hi again
S-video consists of video only (luma and chroma). You'll need to make other arrangements for audio.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Also remember that in effect your TV is acting as a second monitor only, displaying the desktop (or SS2 video).
Your video card isn't concerned with audio, therefore you must take that from the sound card.
I used to have an MGA Millennium video card with an outboard connection console with everything (S-video in/out, composite in/out, audio in/out,TV in)
easily connectable without having to poke around at the back of the PC.
Don't know if anyone does anything like this now.

Llew

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Thanks for the help guys :)
i have that lead you suggest already or something similar.
It takes the sound and normal video out to the scart in on
video but not into the super video.
That cable you mention seems to take super video out with audio but goes into scart as opposed to inputing to the super video in of the video recorder, would i be losing picture quality if it was just going into the scart in?

i think what i would need would be the cable you mention but with an out to the super video ?
am i making any sense? :p

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
smokey1212 said:
S-video to composite video adapter

http://www.weethet.nl/

cheers smokey1212 :D

Still cant believe though that a super video cable connected to a graphics card super video out only seems to carry the picture and not the sound aswell.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
s*t*a*r*m*a*n said:
cheers smokey1212 :D

Still cant believe though that a super video cable connected to a graphics card super video out only seems to carry the picture and not the sound aswell.

The VGA out cable to your monitor doesn't carry sound - it's the same with any other outputs, including S-video.
As has been mentioned before, the video card provides video only.