Safe to run a skystar 2 without the lnb plugged in ?

Peige1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just got a spangly skystar 2 to use for Internet access. I'd like to install it tonight so i can get the mac address off of it and sign up with the provider, which has been known to take a few days to enable accounts.

As i won't be able to run the cable and install the quad lnb until the weekend i was hoping to run the card up without but will it damage it ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No it won't damage it Peige1, it will be fine. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which Satellite and ISP are you going for Peige1?

peige

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
SE UK
Joined up with silvermead.

They've had a bit of a shaky start as they were reselling planetsky but a couple of weeks back they changed to thier own feed and its much, *much* better.

Next week they move to a uk specific transponder, although i have managed to get a lock, which i lost today in the rain/stormy weather, with my 48cm standard dish.

Fitted the cambridge quad lnb and twinking it around yesterday getting a better signal for the transponder they were using also improved the signal on my main sky setup from around two thirds to full strength.

Its given me the thirst to find satellites :cool:

Back to the internet, i've got the 512 package, downloading 1mb in around 16 seconds :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds good Peige, hopefully they can keep up the performance. It'll be interesting to see how they stand up over a couple of months operation, there are still many people around for whom internet by satellite is stiill the only broadband option..

peige

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
SE UK
I know, :rolleyes: most of these providers start off good and die off quickly, but i duno, its just a feeling i have about this outfit :)

We shall see, on the bright side there is only a 3 month min contract so its not like i'm locked in for a year.