Safe way to remove NAV 2003

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just found a virus on the laptop, (VBS.chick) and Ive got a fully updated NAV 2003 installed. The virus is not too dstructive, but took a while to figure out what was happening, and about six hours of my time to remove all traces of it.

There are five days to go on the subscription, and the programme has been reminding me for a couple of weeks that I should do something about renewal

This is a mirror of what happened three years ago, NAV 2001 lasted eleven months three weeks and then started to 'let in' nasties, wiping much of the info on the PC.

Im surprised the Norton lot use this type of tactic to frighten you into parting with more cash but In not going to let that happen this time, but Ive heard that NAV is a pig to shift completely.

Apart from backing up everything fully, is there anything I should do in sequence to make the move to something else safe, any downloads or special removal tools to install ?

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Channel Hopper said:
Apart from backing up everything fully, is there anything I should do in sequence to make the move to something else safe, any downloads or special removal tools to install ?

:) Dumped NAV2003 some time ago. Like most folks, found it to be a hog for CPU etc. Changed mine for Avast Home (free) and not one problem since.

Norton have their website with instructions and tool/s if necessary for removal.

Helped me to ask in the Avast forum, which I found second to NONE for informative replies, about NAV removal BEFORE I installed Avast. Removal was successful and the Avast download fine. To repeat again, no problems since, much more content and greater piece of mind with Avast running.

There are obviously more programs, free or purchase, but this one gave me what I wanted.

I also found that running Firefox as the browser cured 90% of all previous nasties.

Read the Norton advice and try the Avast 'Home' forum search facility , hope this gives you the confidence.

Best of luck.

;) lovelyperson

Satslut

Dumb Satellite Babe
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500CIP
Force 1145S
Pace 2600
SS2 pci & USB
Channel master 1.8m
1.2m & HH motor
AMD 64 bit, Linux & Windows XP2
My Location
Ibiza, Spain
Channel Hopper said:
Just found a virus on the laptop, (VBS.chick) and Ive got a fully updated NAV 2003 installed. The virus is not too dstructive, but took a while to figure out what was happening, and about six hours of my time to remove all traces of it.

There are five days to go on the subscription, and the programme has been reminding me for a couple of weeks that I should do something about renewal

This is a mirror of what happened three years ago, NAV 2001 lasted eleven months three weeks and then started to 'let in' nasties, wiping much of the info on the PC.

Im surprised the Norton lot use this type of tactic to frighten you into parting with more cash but In not going to let that happen this time, but Ive heard that NAV is a pig to shift completely.

There is no need to renew your subscription, just follow these instructions and manually update your virus definitions yourself.

1. connect to symantec web site
2. select downloads
3. select Virus Definition Updates
4. select Intelligent Updater
5. select Download Updates only
6. select the filename ending in .EXE ( it is displayed as a date)
7. save it to your hard-drive
8. run the file and it will update your virus protection

I have done this every 2 or 3 days for the last year, am running NAV 2002