Samsung dead. PLZ HELP!!!

Zebo

Reaction score
hello guys. i desperately need sum help with a samsung SFT-303. the receiver was loaded with the old 2000 software and i had to upgrade it with the new one. i downloaded two sofware versions from the official samsung corp site, one of the 2001 for europe and one of 2002 for middle east. since i live in europe i decided to upgrade the receiver with the european software. the upgrade procedure went ok, the receiver downloaded the software and as it says in the instructions it was supposed to reboot itself but instead it went off and wouldnt switch on. i plugged it out and in but it didnt help. the receiver was dead, showing nothing on the display. then i checked the instructions again and it is possible that this software didnt do for this receiver even though on the site they said it did, cos it turned out there is a difference in upgrade procedure between the two software versions. for the european it says:

Samsung Corportion Jan 18, 2001

Digital & Analog Satellite Receiver with built-in positoner (SADP-303)
Digital Satellite Receiver with built-in positoner (SDP-303)
Digital & Analog Satellite Receiver (SAD-303)

< Software Upgrade >

File Description
Samsung.exe : Host upgrade program downloadable via RS232C port
main.bin : Software data source file
Instruction.txt : Software down load procedure file
< Caution >
Do Factory Default of your receiver before upgrade.
Do Upgrade at DOS Prompt mode not Window mode.
Do not power off(Plug-Out) while doing Upgrade.
If you fail to upgrade, please do again from the top beginning.
Upgrade Procedure

* PC to SET Software Upgrade
Connect your PC and Receiver with twisted RS232C cable.
Pin 2 & 3 in RS-232C line should be twisted.
ex)

Set your receiver 'Factory Default' under 'User Installation' menu, and Plug-out / Plug-in the receiver power cord.

Power off your receiver. (Standby mode)

Type alphabet 'dnld' toward the receiver with using numeric keys on the remote control. Ex) Press 3 66 555 3 (dnld). You will see 'dnLd' displayed on the front display.

Note) In case you pressed wrong numbers, and 'dnLd' does not appear on the front display, please power on-off and try again. 'dnLd'will not appear until you finish typing all 4 letters.

Type 'Samsung' on the DOS prompt under the directory where the upgrade files exist.

Select your PC communication port COM [1] or COM [2]

Push ENTER Key on your PC and then Press OK button on the receiver remote control.

Download takes 4~5 minutes, and the receiver will automatically reboot when upgrade is done successfully. In case your receiver does not re-boot, plug out and in AC power code of the receiver.

Remarks - In case you fail to upgrade properly, DO NOT Power-off your receiver, and repeat from the beginning.

for the middle east it says:

Samsung Corportion Jan 18, 2001

Digital Common Interface Satellite Receiver (SCI-302/303)
Digital Common Interface Satellite Receiver with buit-in positioner (SCIP-303)
Digital Free-To-Air Satellite Receiver (SFT-302/303)

< Software Upgrade >

File Description
samsung.exe : Host upgrade program downloadable via RS232C port
main.bin : Software data source file
Instruction.txt : Software down load procedure file
* Before Upgrade your receiver, please do 'Factory Default' under User Insatallation Menu.

Upgrade Procedure
Connect your PC and Receiver with twisted RS232C cable.
Pin 2 & 3 in RS-232C line should be twisted.
ex)

Set your receiver 'Factory Default' under 'User Installation' menu, and Plug-out / Plug-in the receiver power cord.

Power off your receiver. (Stand-by mode)

Type alphabet 'dnld' toward the receiver with using numeric keys on the remote control.
Ex) Press 3 66 555 3 (dnld).
You will see 'dnLd' displayed on the front display.

Note) In case you pressed wrong numbers, and 'dnLd' does not appear on the front display, please power on-off and try again.
'dnLd'will not appear until you finish typing all 4 letters.

Type 'samsung' on the DOS prompt under the directory where the upgrade files exist.

Select COM Port speed 115200bps[1] or 57600bps[2] When your present(Slave) software version of your receiver is under V3.0, please select [1], and select [2] when it is over V4.0.

Select your PC communication port COM [1] or COM [2]

Push ENTER Key on your PC and then Press OK button on the receiver remote control.

Download takes 4~5 minutes, and the receiver will automatically reboot when upgrade is done successfully.
In case your receiver does not re-boot, plug out and in AC power code of the receiver.
Remarks
- In case you fail to upgrade properly, DO NOT Power-off your receiver, and repeat from the beginning.

i opened the lid and there is a small button on the motherboard, is it possible to reset the receiver to its default firmware or do i have to unsolder the flash memory and burn it with the old software on the programmer and solder it back? guys i really need help with this one so any help is really appreciated. thanks in advance.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Why wont your dealer give you advice ?

They should be the first to contact on any such firmware upgrade, or offer to exchange the receiver if they have endorsed the modification within the warranty

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The older Stong badged Samsung receivers had a button on the board (SRT4000)
All this would do would 'soft ' reset the receiver to its starting state by resetting the data stream (before the days of reliable watchdog firmware)

Unless the receiver is a clone of something else thats a bit more popular, it looks like the button is your best bet for now, once thats pressed you can try a search on Google before you start looking at desoldering a chip and almost certainly knackering the motherboard

Zebo

Reaction score
i emailed the manufacturer, that is samsung corp but they havent replied yet.

Zebo

Reaction score
do u know the procedure of resetting to the old software using the button?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The button does not load software, it simply shuts down the operation to allow the machine to start from the beginning.

It is highly unlikely you will receive an answer from Samsung, why not contact the first person up the supply chain (your dealer) ?

naser ewemr

Reaction score
hi for aool i am from jordan midl aest i hav resevars horaeson but hi dont aopen any thing i hav some nombars to hem laik 19370 and2486 i need cod to aopen the moltve and polsat and af i weel thanks to ply boy af you can i need code plees thanks for evry bady

Nuredin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite receiver
My Location
London, United Kingdom
samsung 9500 software
can anyboby tell how to find and download a software
thank you

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member