Samsung HD box in need of replacement?

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
My trusty Samsung SkyHD box, dated March 2009, is beginning to feel its age,sometimes getting blocked, responding slowly to my commands, getting stuck on a channel etc. As I'm off to the UK on a flying visit soon maybe now is the time to pick up a replacement off the auction site. Would a drx 890 be a reasonable choice sensitivity-wise?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
There's not much choice now as it's either the DRX890 and DRX895 if you want a bit more recording space. But I find the DRX890 to be pretty sensitive, I'm sure the DRX895 is good too.

Be aware the newest versions of the Sky boxes do not have RF out so if you pipe signals around the house you'll need an adaptor like the Triax IO Link which is basically an external modulator designed for the Sky box.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Many thanks for your advice, Timo. I'll go for the 890 as I already have a Humax Foxsat-HDR, and it's a bit like my LP collection - Loads of recordings I never listen too! And as for piping signals around the house, that's something I've never contemplated, or mentioned to the family. I want excuses for more dishes, LNBs and receivers, not fewer!

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Result! Managed to win a Sky HD box. It has inbuilt wifi, so I hope that means it is a late model. I imagine I'll lose all existing recordings on the old box on changeover.....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
When you say "late", I hope that doesn't mean as in dead!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Result! Managed to win a Sky HD box. It has inbuilt wifi, so I hope that means it is a late model. I imagine I'll lose all existing recordings on the old box on changeover.....
Yes, all your old recordings will be on the old box so you might want to watch some before switching over.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Recordings can be copied from old to new box using software called ExPVR (google it) but will require connection of both HDDs to a PC (with long leads can be achieved without total removal).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Recordings can be copied from old to new box using software called ExPVR (google it) but will require connection of both HDDs to a PC (with long leads can be achieved without total removal).
It doesn't work with newer Sky boxes though? I seem to recall there is some other software that might work with newer Sky+HD hard drives.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like it is supported!
http://www.ph-mb.com/products/expvr/device-list

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Hopefully the late box will survive transport to my son's at St Ives, Cambs. I'll be over there next weekend on a flying visit courtesy of Easyjet, Asturias- Stansted, rather than the usual Santiago-Stansted with Ryanair. As he has Sky I can test it there and make sure the late box isn't late as in dead! Once back at base we'll see if it performs as well as the Samsung HD box, which was as good as its predecessor, the Pace 2600.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Sky HD box successfully retrieved from the UK. I connected it up at home here

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Sorry, premature posting! As I was saying, I connected it up to my single feed, and it appears to be OK, the channels opening even though I haven't as yet paired card and box. Channel changes etc are definitely faster.

Can anyone remind me how to access the secret menu as I want to use the box permanently on a single feed. All dual and quad LNBs I've tried have been inferior to the Black ultra single LNB, and with so much rain here and only a 1m50 dish I need all the signal I can get.

No problems at Stansted. I took the receiver out of my hand luggage as if it were a laptop and no-one batted an eyelid as it went through security.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Press Services and dial 0 0 1 and select to enter the installer menu. You may need to try it a few times to get it to work.

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Press Services and dial 0 0 1 and select to enter the installer menu. You may need to try it a few times to get it to work.
Many thanks! I'll try it tonight and then I'll know if I can record without pairing card and box, which would be great as then I could still access old recordings in the Samsung box if required .

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Many thanks! I'll try it tonight and then I'll know if I can record without pairing card and box, which would be great as then I could still access old recordings in the Samsung box if required .
Without pairing the card to the box you will only be able to record non-encrypted (FTA) channels - once paired to the new box without re-pairing it to the Samsung box you will only be able to playback FTA channel programmes on that. So basically without pairing a card with a valid Sky+ sub on it will only record or playback FTA channels in any Sky box and you will only be able to view non premium channels (not Movies, Sports, 3D or subscrption HD channels).

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
Without pairing the card to the box you will only be able to record non-encrypted (FTA) channels - once paired to the new box without re-pairing it to the Samsung box you will only be able to playback FTA channel programmes on that. So basically without pairing a card with a valid Sky+ sub on it will only record or playback FTA channels in any Sky box and you will only be able to view non premium channels (not Movies, Sports, 3D or subscrption HD channels).
Th
Thanks Dave and Timo. Sky+HD box now in single feed mode, and recordins possible on FTA channels. Will have to call Sky on Skype to pair my card, which is non-premium channels and non-HD option, to the new box.