Sasser, Sasser and more Sasser

N

net1

This week saw the arrival of Sasser, a new worm of the Don Johnson variety, complete with colourful shirt, shades, its own transportation and a VIP card to the most popular Windows applications. Its arrival on stage therefore received plenty of media coverage, most reports highlighting its potential to infect scores of computers worldwide.

The interesting thing about Sasser is precisely its reach and not so much what it does once it’s on your computer. It’s “all mouth and no trousers”, so to speak. Its main strength is that it spreads by relying on users doing absolutely nothing. There are no e-mails involved and no “click here if you want to be rich” tricks. It randomly selects poorly maintained machines without updated protection and enters through a security flaw in the Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems.

In theory this shouldn’t cause the epidemic spread we are witnessing at the moment. Sasser will only affect computers which haven’t been patched and which don’t run an updated computer security program. The vast majority of pc users are, however, notoriously bad at keeping their pc’s patched up and many people think they’ll just “wait and see” if they really need an anti-virus program.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like they've found the guy as well, let's see how much of the book they throw at him.

G

GotMyBusPass

According to "Yahoo News"

{Quote}: Police said it appeared the arrested man acted alone and there were no other suspects. The arrested man is suspected of "computer sabotage", a charge carrying up to five years imprisonment in Germany. {End Quote}.

Let us hope that he gets the full term, it might put others off upsetting the web!

GMBP:)

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
My brother told me today the person caught was apparently only 13 years old. I heard that he handed himself in. No doubt he will be working for the government in a few years :D