sat broadband

guardian

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I have been reading about sat broad band from Europe online which is offering a starter pack for 69.99euros to include a online DVB card and 1 month E-DSL service .
I would like to know ir anyone has tried this or has heard any reports about it ?
Is it a good deal or not ?

Guardian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Got to be almost worth paying for the PC Card on its own Guardian, I presume that it is still the Skystar 2 card?

With regard to the service, depends on what you are looking for, if you are expecting suoerfast browsing and the ability to download files at will and with the speed of a broadband connection instantly, forget it, it will not be the service for you. If you don't mind putting your downloads into a queue and downloading them at some future date, then it may interest you.

There are better internet by satellite providers around, but they all suffer from long ping times and slow performance at peak times, some of them also cap your download rates and or quantities.

guardian

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Thanks for the reply rolfw
A friend asked me to try and find out about the offer .He hasn't even got a dish but is prepared to invest in one and a LNB if the deal is a good one .
He wants a cheaper method of getting broadband than a land line as he finds the monthly rate prohibitive.
He would only be a light user and does not want to be on line for hours and thought this offer would fit the bill
What do you think? I don't know what to advise him as I have always understood that that sat method was more expensive

Regards Guardian

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly the Europe oneline service does not come remotely close to ADSL or Cable broadband and you still require your phone line for your outward connection, although not for the scheduled downloads.

The pings are high and browsing is no faster than using the modem only, in fact it is often slower as the latency can cause a lot of errors.

Europe online do have a good streaming service, but are not in my opinion a proper satellite by internet service, there a few others around, but of course thay are not as cheap and as per my previous answer, suffer problems unique to that type of service.

For the services other than EON, you will still need a pay ISP, so add that, or the cost of your calls to the total, you will find that it will work out more expensive and not as effective as DSL or Cable.

The one advantage of a satellite service is the PC card, you can also watch TV on it. :)

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
At that price I would be astonished if this were a proper full satellite service. It is probably a hybrid, where downloads are via satellite but uploads via normal land-line telephone connection and a normal internet ISP. If that's the case, your friend may find there are still "hidden" costs to add (cost of the land connection/ISP) and also "hidden" constraints (namely that uploads can only go at the same speed as a standard connection, and that in order to be online all day long a la ADSL one would permanently tie up the phone line).

Full two-way sat connections require an upload LNB, which is very expensive.

2old

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No it isn't two way 2old, the cheapest two way service starts at around £80 per month excluding equipment costs.

guardian

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
My thanks to Rolfw and 2old4this

I will pass your comments on to my friend,it is, as I suspected a little to good to be true offer .From the little knowledge I have gained through reading about Sat Broadband I thought it didn't ring true

Regards to both
Guardian