sat card???

mk2_dee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard sky box, wireless router
My Location
derry
hey

im new to the forum. ive heard about something called a sat card or something like that. you have to have a sky dish and box and a wireless router. you have to run a cable from your router to this box. does any body know of this sort of system?? and what channels are available?? and were wuold i be able to buy it??

cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Never heard of it and that's probably because it doesn't exist, nothing as far as I know will work with a Sky digibox to give you anything more than you are entitled to on your subscription card.

mk2_dee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
derry
i was thinking of canceling my sky subription, because ive heard about satcardsharing. i was looking to find out abit about it? and what would be the best model of dreambox to use? and would my exsisting sky card work in the dreambox?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
All you need to know about card sharing can be found right here on the forum. Settle down for a couple of hours of reading because its the first of MANY hours learning you will need to do if you want to run a linux box successfully.

Yes your existing sky card will run if you configure a DB correctly - see note above!

Whats the best box - impossible to answer without knowng what you want / what your budget is etc etc.

eg:

- do you need rf connectivity for around the house distribution
- do you want an HD box

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
And PS. If you cancel your Sky subscription, your subscription channels won't work in your Dreambox.

Merged your thread from Yesterday.

mk2_dee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
derry
Analoguesat said:
All you need to know about card sharing can be found right here on the forum. Settle down for a couple of hours of reading because its the first of MANY hours learning you will need to do if you want to run a linux box successfully.

Yes your existing sky card will run if you configure a DB correctly - see note above!

Whats the best box - impossible to answer without knowng what you want / what your budget is etc etc.

eg:

- do you need rf connectivity for around the house distribution
- do you want an HD box

dont need rf connectivity just looking for a hd box for the living room. what channels would i be able to recieve from satcard sharing. does it depend on the size of dish? will i just be able to recieve freeview channels? that you would get with a normal freesat hd box? or what extra do you get from satcard sharing?

sorry if my questions seem bit stupid, i work as a security systems engineer installing intruder alarms, cctv etc so my knowledge is very limited for satellite systems but ive always been interested in this kind of thing and want to learn more about it

cheers

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Channels available depend entirely what your dish configuration is (size and where its pointed).

For scrambled channels on a share it depends whats on the other end of the share as well!

You wont get any Freeview channels - thats DTT via the aerial, and theres some important differences between whats available free on the two systems.

No disrespect to you and I certainly dont mean to be hurtful in any way, but with your level of sat knowledge you are going to be either very frustrated indeed with card share boxes, or very disappointed indeed - and most probably both.

A linux box is not a magic box that automatically opens everything - its going to take you weeks if not months to get to grips with one - it did for all of us, and its vital anyone considering one understands this.

I saw a DM800 for sale cheap on ebay a couple of weeks ago - the sellers description said it had totally defeated him :D