Sat Dish on 20ft pole in garden??

blueturret

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
standard sky HD (I hope!)
My Location
Ayr, Scotland
I have just moved house and am gutted to find out that the trees in front of my house are blocking a sat signal. Sky came out last week and were only here 10min - they apparently had been out before when the previous owners tried to get Sky installed.

I have now had an independant satalite engineer out and have been told that the only possible location is on top of a 20ft pole at the back of my garden.

The back of my garden is next to the side of another house (no windows, only a side exit door). I do have another neighbour who is accross the road from the side of my house and who looks into the wall at the side of my garden - so any pole/dish would be viewable from their front window.

I have a tree that is about 10ft high where the pole might be able to go.

My quesion is what issues am I likely to face with regards the neighbours or planning?

yours in desperation.

Stephen

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Welcome,

This may depend on if your in a conservation area or not.

Personally not too sure about the planning but don't know how your going to stop a Zone 2 from moving around in the wind on top of a 20ft mast... guy wire maybe:-rofl2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star FSCOII
Fortec Universal LNB
90 cm dish (not motorised)
My Location
Hampshire, New Forest
Hi there,

My advice would be to see if you can pick up some cheap equipment (my neighbour has numerous old sky boxes/dishes he got at boot fairs), if you haven't got some already, then take a slow, considered walk around your gardens. I had a similar experience with Sky; though the beligerent 12 year old who grunted at me was probably only here about 1 1/2 minutes in my case. :-Nooo Not having it!!!

Anyway, as I don't admit defeat easily I found I could find clear skies in a bit of a clearing above and either side of my front gate. I don't particularly keep it clear and have had no problems. Takes a little time, but I made up a card base with a vertical card glued to it. That card was set at the upward pointing angle (sorry guys, forgot the phrase!) and 28 degrees from a north south line. Then glued a straw to the top and went around the garden with it mounted on a tripod, lining it with north and looking through the straw for clear sky! Sounds mad, but you can also look across the corner of structures for a possible mounting point. I have my dish (albeit 1m diameter) mounted on a first floor roof, so it's not exactly high, and have been trouble free. I am in the New Forest and literally surrounded by 80 foot pine trees.

Next thing is, make a complaint to Sky if you get it working! I did, though there was another issue aswell, addressing it to the CEO and cc'ing Ofcom. Got a letter back offering me a senior engineer and a free upgrade to Sky plus (though they are being slow about coming through on that!)

...Oh, and keep this site bookmarked. The guys on here are generous with their time and advice, and spot on the money!

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
carn't you put it on your chimney stack as long as no part of your dish is higher than your apex of the roof and its not a conservation aeria or a listed buiding you dont need planning permision
unless its a brand new house and some builders have made up there own rules about dishes and its written in the deeds

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
could try one of these on the chimney although mainly designed for the south region.

h**p://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220124&doy=30m5&C=SO&U=strat15

I wouldn't mind taking a close look at one of these myself, LOL :D:D