Sat, Dish, Softcam questions from a novice

niooi

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to buy 2 vdr cards Sat and Cable and make a linux box using softcam. I've been reading all over the net but it is time for me to ask several questions.

I/ If I buy a GeoSat G3 Dish with 3 LNBs it means I will get all the packages from those satellites and all the pay-per-view channels in it?:

ASTRA 28.2°Est:
Sky Digital
ASTRA 19.2°Est:
Digital + (Spanish Taquila MediaGuard)
Premiere
CanalSatellite France
HOTBIRD 13°Est:
TPS
SkyItalia
ABSAT
Arabesque

II/ Will Softcam be able to work on all those packages correctly? I know Dreambox is also a linux box but can it do the same exact job in terms of softcaming?
[I know TPS is not working anymore since it uses Viacess2 but what about the rest of them]

II/ With a single Diseq card and a mutliple LNBs I can get them all if the card is Diseq too? Also I have read that DVB card needs 0.3 db LNBs instead of the usual 0.5-0.8 db LNBs Is it correct? Is a

III/ I want to get the cable in Paris. It uses TPS***. I have found some hex files for Gold, silver and MR cards. Can these hex files be converted into softcam? Is it compatible or those hex files are exclusively specific to a card?
I have found a fun card to sfotcam converter but no goldcard to softcam. Any links?

IV/ From what I have read it seems vdr + sc using a Premium Card takes advantages of the card power to decypher. On the contrary, a budget card does softcam in a more complex manner. Is this correct? Premium is the way to go for softcam?

V/ Is a MatrixCAM and the corresponding card (Matrix Card I guess) be able to replacer vdr +softcam to do all of the above packages? Are hex for such CAM and cards updated more regularly then a software equivalent?

VI/ Do you think that if I'm able to make this work by girlfriend will quit me? ;p

Thanks a lot,

niooi

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
niooi said:
I will get all the packages from those satellites and all the pay-per-view channels in it?

Sorry, the short answer is no almost all the channels you have listed are not available at the moment and some have never been.

This hobby has it's ups and downs and I'll stick my neck out and say we are going through a down at the moment.

You can bet that a lot of chaps are working away on solutions to these black outs.

If you want guaranteed access you will have to buy official cards, and in some cases, receivers.

You can receive thousands of FTA channels on the Clark belt but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

I'm sure your girlfriend will understand.

niooi

Reaction score
Hi

Does it mean a The Reality CAM is better than softcam?

It seems this CAM does it all (almost)

It also seems softcam is at least doing Canal Sat no?

Thanks

Niooi

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
from what i have read, the reality cam is the 'king of cams'

but it costs money, a softcam like yankse or s2emu is free...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Even the King of CAMs can only get what is currently available and that isn't much at the moment.

niooi

Reaction score
On another forum some developpers are saying that they have nearly completed Viacess 2 cracking for TPS. He says that it will be first available for G.Box! What's a G.Box? Also he says following the G.Box will be the Dreambox and then CAM. If I understand correctly Dreambox is using vdr's softcam plugin (sc 0.4) which means that softcam's is updated sooner than CAMs!?

PS:If someone feels like answering my other questions he/she is welcome :)

Thanks

niooi

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
There are no rules about what comes out first. We are totally dependant on the folks who are smart enough to exploit the flawed logic of others, those that put the code together, and any prevailing market forces.

Any self respecting 'developer' in this arena wouldn't be bragging about what they are about to achieve. They would just do it and know that they have done a good job.

:)