satbox dvd vcr tv connection - advice please

rjosborne

Reaction score
Honestly, I've searched the site, the faq's etc, and haven't found the information I need.
My question is simple, and has probably featured here before.

I've just bought a new TV with a full suite of sockets on the back - you could connect dozens of things to it as far as I can see.
What I need to know is how to connect my satbox (Sky Panasonic job, 2 or 3 years old, VCR and TV scarts) , fairly old vcr (1 scart), less old DVD (1 scart, s-video out) to make the system work optimally. Do I daisy-chain some of these components, (though I've been warned against feeding the DVD signal through the VCR), or should each one be directly connected to the TV? If the latter, how do I get to record from the satellite feed to the VCR?

Humble request for help
Thanks
Richard:confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Richard, run the VCR into the Sky box and the Sky box into scart 1 on the TV (should have RGB enabled), then run the DVD into whichever scart on the TV with SVideo capability.

This way you can record Sky and the video will take control when you play back a video.

rjosborne

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the guidance. One final (hopefully) thing. If I want the flexibility of having "standard" aerial connection as well, which component should that go into? Currently it goes into the satbox, and from there to the VCR and then to the TV(!) Is all that redundant?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No not redundant, but unless you are using the second output from the digibox to feed another TV, miss it out of the RF loop. :)

So just go from the wall into the video and from the video to the TV.