Satcatcher mk4 NIT HD

Mrtayto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1 Triax Dish with multiholder, 28,19,16,13, on switch with Technomate 5402 HD super. Dm800HD.
My Location
Ireland
Anyone on the forum got 1 of these meters, could you give me some feedback as to quality, battery life , support etc

dvb-s-mk4-nit-hd-new.png this is a picture of one from a german site

excelfinal_ezr.jpg And this is a picture from satcatcher website
They look a bit different on the front, color etc,

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The second picture looks like an Excel TV MkIV. I've got one of these. It's DVB-S, not HD, with spectrum and channel display.

Mrtayto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1 Triax Dish with multiholder, 28,19,16,13, on switch with Technomate 5402 HD super. Dm800HD.
My Location
Ireland
maybe then its just an old picture, is the meter any good?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I like the meter but wouldn't swap it for my Satlook Color HD. The Satcatcher can only lock onto known transponders and the spectrum is not real time. Doesn't have MER or constellation.

Mrtayto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Just checked with satcatcher, it,s the top pic ok,New mk4 HD s2, does constellation and mer too, aparently going like hot cakes

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Mrtayto said:
Just checked with satcatcher, it,s the top pic ok,New mk4 HD s2, does constellation and mer too, aparently going like hot cakes
Did you get a price? And will it display Mpeg4 or just SD channels.

Mrtayto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Price is 750.00 yes steve at satcatcher says it does display HD,

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Mrtayto said:
Price is 750.00 yes steve at satcatcher says it does display HD,
Ok, sounds good. I'd like to see a video of the spectrum display while moving the dish about. My Mk4 is pretty slow compared to my other meter, and certainly not real time. Still good for recognising the satellite though. Lastly, the Mk4 at least requires transponder data to lock. That means on a brand new satellite with unknown transponders nothing but the signal display and spectrum will be available. Meters like the Satlook and Televes H45 do not require that data so can work on completely unknown satellites or ones where you are not sure which satellite you are pointing at.

Lastly, if you are dealing with Satcatcher I can assure you from personal experience that the aftersales from this company is better than excellent.

BTW, can you post a link to the German website.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
An unparsed URL preferred ;)

Mrtayto

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
here it is
-http://www.satshop.tv/Satcatcher-Digipro-Excel-TV-MK4-NIT-PROFESSIONAL-SATELLITE-METER

graymond

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
desk top pc
My Location
uk
hi evey one new to sat meters /question just got a satcatcher Excel TV MkIV from a friend he said if can get it powered up we sort out a price. red power light comes on the charge but the screen flickers on screen. tryed charging dont seem to do any good could this be the battery might be dead any idears would be a great help

when i start to charge the meter the red charge light comes on but the screen flickers but wont start up any help would be greatful

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR x 2, Sky digibox x 2
My Location
South of France
Mrtayto said:
here it is
www.satshop.tv/Satcatcher-Digipro-Excel-TV-MK4-NIT-PROFESSIONAL-SATELLITE-METER
Hi,

Did you buy one? I am not sure whether to get the Satcatcher or the new Smartmeter S20.

DavidD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q wide and LNB
My Location
Warminster. UK
Hi. Anyone have instructions on this second hand satcatcher DVB-S MK4 NIT. Have to move next doors sat due to our scaffolding blocking the signal and I can’t get it to work now. I know how to terminate the compression f plugs It’s a wideband lnb. I’ve Set LO 10410 and 22khz to off and voltage to 13. Won’t give me anymore than a signal level.
many thanks for your time. David

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
You need to use a DVB-S transponder in around the 11350 to 12500 range, V or H will depend on which output you're connected to. Try 11597v 22000 5/6 or 11836h 27500 5/6.

DavidD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q wide and LNB
My Location
Warminster. UK
Nice, will try that. Thank you.

DavidD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q wide and LNB
My Location
Warminster. UK
You need to use a DVB-S transponder in around the 11350 to 12500 range, V or H will depend on which output you're connected to. Try 11597v 22000 5/6 or 11836h 27500 5/6.
Still, did not work, see the peeks, perhaps the meter is too old for this LNB?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Yes the meter is old but it should still work on the upper frequencies.
When you say "see the peeks" - sounds like a spectrum meter, do these move up and down when you move the dish? If so then when the peeks are tallest then you are on a satellite, but perhaps not the correct one.
Make sure the dish is vertical as a starting point i.e. the dish face is facing directly forward. If you can see other sky dishes then point yours roughly in the same direction. If the peeks are tall but the sky box doesn't work then you need to turn the dish until you find another satellite.

Otherwise a £10 sat beeper might be your best bet. These make a noise that increases in pitch as the signal gets stronger. Less faff than using an old meter.

DavidD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q wide and LNB
My Location
Warminster. UK
Yes the meter is old but it should still work on the upper frequencies.
When you say "see the peeks" - sounds like a spectrum meter, do these move up and down when you move the dish? If so then when the peeks are tallest then you are on a satellite, but perhaps not the correct one.
Make sure the dish is vertical as a starting point i.e. the dish face is facing directly forward. If you can see other sky dishes then point yours roughly in the same direction. If the peeks are tall but the sky box doesn't work then you need to turn the dish until you find another satellite.

Otherwise a £10 sat beeper might be your best bet. These make a noise that increases in pitch as the signal gets stronger. Less faff than using an old meter.
Thanks for your reply, i appreciate it.
I have set the dish as others, I even bought another one with wideband lnb. Using dishpointer app I have the tilt and angle correct. Just still getting around 78 signal but no quality and no TV lock. Yes, the spectrum moves as I move the dish. It also has constellation. I can get a lock on 28.5 but not 28.2 on either dish. Because I can't get in next door to check their Sky Q box I was relying on seeing a TV picture on my meter. so I still have Local Oscellation to 10410 and 22khz to off and voltage to 13. Is that bit correct for wideband LNB? I have set up Sats before - but only as an electrician when they have to be moved, but I think this is more difficult than I imagined! Thank you for your time, David

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
It sounds right for a wideband LNB but I have no experience with them, only what I've read. You are getting a spectrum so it is working to some degree. Perhaps the local oscillator setting is causing trouble.

Using 12382H 27500 5/6 on the H output of the LNB, that should give you pictures when you scan it & are on the right sat.
Signal strength can be a red herring, signal quality is the important reading.

Could try setting the oscillator to 10600 as per what a standard LNB would use for the upper band. In theory 12382H 27500 5/6 would then become 12572H 27500 5/6 so input that instead. This transponder uses the older DVB-S & mpeg 2 which your meter should be compatible with.

Dishpointer can be handy but as there are several strong satellites between 5e & 28e and it's quite easy to be on the wrong satellite.

Depending on how the meter is identifying 28.5 It may or may not be the correct satellite, several satellites use the same transponder parameters.

You could get a 'legacy' old style mk4 sky LNB, then when you have the dish aligned then swap the LNB for the wideband one.

DavidD

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q wide and LNB
My Location
Warminster. UK
Just popped back in to say thank you for your advise, it worked. Using your settings, I plugged into a friends working system and photographed the
spectrum so that I could replicate here. One thing I noticed was that the elevation of the app (using my iphone) was way out to what was required and as you stated it is all very close and easy to be pointing at the wrong satellite. Anyway, many many thanks for helping me out. David