Satdudez is Back!!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks Lee, just been there and registered.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
and again they are not accepting hotmail accounts for registration.... hotmail email is "banned" by the administration. Just as was the case under Satdudez.
So what is it with these guys?
Anyone know the reason for this bloody ridiculous restriction?

2old

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Its because of the exceptionally quick process of gaining a new identity available with Hotmail. They've had real problems with spammers and idiots and I guess that this is the only way of containing the problem. Admittedly there is no real difficulty in getting a Webmail address, but banning Hotmail makes it slightly less easy.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The necessity to retain anonymity while actively participating in "hacking" is something I would have thought to be self-evident. It certainly used to be. Anonymity was the most valued commodity. If boards don't respect that, the only members they'll attract are the type that register just to "leech" info/files rather than to contribute.

Since the board's admin clearly feels that participants should be obliged to surrender traceable information about themselves I presume they would have no qualms publishing their own reaql email addresses. Ask this Kink character to do that. I'm curious as to what the reaction will be.

In the meantime, I strongly advise that NO-ONE should provide real email addresses when registering to ANY hacking-related board - let alone one which has itself in the past been hacked by someone who stole the registration database and threatened to publish it.

2old

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Extreemly well said, 2old..

pixey

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ah but you are assuming that all that use the Satdudez board are in the hacking game, and need to work under cloak and dagger

In the same way that a non moderator would give advice on this board to a request for help in for example
1) receiving a particular free to air channel , or
2) alignment of a dish to the Clark arc,

there is nothing in that request or reply that could be deemed as illegal under any law that I know of, save linking to a website from a country where outside sites are prohibited

Doesnt prevent me from using my business e-mail though, and claiming the phone bill taxes back through the company

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I'm not assuming that. I'm just being realistic - much of what goes on at Satdudez (especially the posting and downloading of files) is construed as illegal by providers and owners of encryption systems. So anyone who will engage in such activities is well advised NOT to register under a "real" email address unless they want to run the risk of being chased by said authorities.

This is especially true for those that contibute to the information or files, since it is they who are distributing or publishing the info. Those just downloading will generally speaking be ok since the mere act of doing that (as opposed to using the downloaded files) is not illegal. But under most (all?) EU countries' laws, the act of uploading or publishing/distributing the info IS itself illegal - they don't need to catch a publisher in the act of using the files.

That's why I say that those least likely to worry about the anonymity issue are those least likely to be contributing (to that aspect of the hobby).

By the way, I think there's a strong case for the existance of entirely legal boards (no files, no publishing of illegal info such as keys, no publishing of copyrighted materials such as CAM schematics or firmware, etc etc.). Hust good discussion on the technologies, receivers, techniques, feeds, etc. In fact I think that this board (sat.uk) comes very close to that, so most of us here aren't too concerned by the anonymity issue.
But Satdudez is a different kettle of fish.

2old

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Youre right of course with the totally legal board. Some forums come rather close to this zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

but Ive been on them and dont spent much time as the posters seem to have as much knowledge of their satellite system as a sock.

Looking to other sites involved in the interest of telecommunications, in particular the DX forums, in all of them there appears to be one goal, summed up as

'cheaper, faster, further'.

If its none of the above then its not worth getting out of bed for.

An avid interest (read hacking) of satellite TV, cable, DTT, the information highway and wireless networks brings out the best and worst in some people. Not that I would condone it at all

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Originally posted by Channel Hopper

but Ive been on them and dont spent much time as the posters seem to have as much knowledge of their satellite system as a sock.

I look at socks and satellite receiver...Eureka.:eek:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
'I'm a lying, thieving ponce get me out of here'

Bit more difficult for him now eh ?

Cant understand the reasoning given by his wife that it was OK to traipse over to a friends drinking den ' Oh but it was enroute to the jail so we did not think it was against the rules'.

Superb. 'Meet Bubba, your new room companion Mr Archer. By the way he suffers from insomnia !

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Question: List two people who have ridden Derby winners

Answer: Pat Eddery and Lester Piggot's cell mate Knuckles.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
LOL,

JA sour mash.

1 tin kiwi black polish
1 can of prunes ( army issue 42')
Pulp (i.e bad books...yours)

Ferment via bed bunk square hollow structure frame, tap and drink
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

One better than champers when things get tough,,,

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
@ 2old4this:

You see 2old, it does not matter whether you use "real" or "imaginary" email address, the minute that your browser showing the "dodgy" homepage, your IP would have recorded, a cookie would have been save on your harddrive, unless you come to those sites via an ip washing site (eg annomyzer.com ), whereby your ip is stripped and replaced by some funny ip. The ISP and the authourity have problem finding out who's logging to what sites. Hence we have seen a lot of coppers going down for mature content charges (in the UK).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You don't seriously mean that you are using a forum without going through anonymiser or similar drag0nfly_69uk, I never go out without one.

The Masked Surfer

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
@rolfw:

cant really the point, because if a "proper" hacker would be able to get your ip address and get into your pc anyway (that's including you having a hardware firewall), there will always be a way in. That's the trouble with the internet, you'll never know who to trust.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Fair point dragon,

There are only a certain number of 'get me round this one' providers. Many of them logged in one way or another. The best ones are expensive the simple ones are easily available. At the very least if you wish for anomity its going to cost you thousands and that dish best be stuck in the bin because it's old technology.

Curious.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Originally posted by drag0nfly_69uk
@rolfw:

cant really see the point, because if a "proper" hacker would be able to get your ip address and get into your pc anyway (that's including you having a hardware firewall), there will always be a way in. That's the trouble with the internet, you'll never know who to trust.

1st Point: Never make it easy, dont give anyone a direct link, they may be able to find who you are, but don't make it too easy.

Using an anonymiser and a hardware firewall, plus two software firewalls, there is little or no way a hacker will get to me. Using just an anonymiser and a webmail address, there are very few ways without several international warrants that any law enforcement agencies could reach you for suspected TV hacking.

Most of the perverts that get picked up for child mature content etc are downloading from webservers and deserve everything they get......and possibly a bit more.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Kink's back up again for registration.

S

Stargazer

Anonymity does not have to be expensive - a free anonymizer that I would suggest would be JAP (Java Anonymising Proxy) which encrypts your web traffic on your PC (including URLs) and sends it to a server in Dresden to be decrypted and sent on. It is currently free (beta test), more details on http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html. I do use this a lot but it can be slow (56k modem speed or less) when it gets busy.

An inexpensive pay option seems to be that offered at cotse (http://www.cotse.net/servicedetails.html) - $5.95 doesn't seem too pricey! Cannot comment on performance though. The only issue I can see is that being US-based, it would be subject to the "9/11 panic laws". JAP - being German - would not.

More stuff on anonymity can be found at http://anon.efga.org/WebProxies or http://webveil.com/matrix.html (he says, Googling quickly).