Satellite ADSL + VoIP in Cyprus

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish, Pace 2600, 0.5dB universal quad Invacom LNB (Limassol)
4.2m dish Pace 2600 0.3dB universal quad invacom LNB. (Larnaca)
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
Hi everyone

Does anyone have an ADSL satellite connection in Cypurs. I am looking for users opinions on how good the service is and also if anyone has used it with a VoIP service. I know its expensive so other than the cost I would really like to know about the service.

I would like to know how stable it is when the weather can be at its worst in Cyprus?

Are the speeds worse than a comparabale CYTA ADSL line?

If anyone has used sat ADSL for VoIP is there any delay when speaking over the phone?

Any other information which you may think is releveant to the above would also be welcome.

Kind regards
Yan

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish, Pace 2600, 0.5dB universal quad Invacom LNB (Limassol)
4.2m dish Pace 2600 0.3dB universal quad invacom LNB. (Larnaca)
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
Ok it may seem that not many people have used sat internet in Cyprus, but I would still welcome any informatin from anyone anywhere in the world who has used sat internet with VoIP.

Thanks
Yan

refinechange

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Yan,
OK, regarding VOIP and Satellite DSL services, You will find that if you use a standard DVB based service that you will suffer from terrible quality due to the latency of the link. However if you use a DVB-RCS based service, this is less pronounced. There is a delay in the conversation however after a very few seconds, you probably wouldn't notice (on a DVB-RCS system). Speed is very much a matter of what your service is and how busy the link is. The provider I have used gives a service very close (but not quite) at the quoted 1MB speed.
I would not expect the weather in Cyprus to cause an issue. Mine is in the north of England and we have only ever had one problem during a torrential storm. We also lost electrical power so the Sat Link was not an issue then ;-)

Now for the bad news....
A DVB system in the UK will cost between £700 and £1200
A DVB-RCS system is about £2000 - £2500!!!

Bandwidth is also expensive with it costing from £59 for a basic service to £300 for a higher end service.

There are (as I'm sure you know) a lot of providers although I found Aramiska offered the best service for my uses. It is also worth speaking to your local SATdsl dealer as well.

Good luck!!
Regards
Alex :cool: