Satellite broadband

seamonkey

Reaction score
Hi is it possable to get help with Satellite broadband on this site. As i am moving to Cyprus and need to set it up over there. I have the dish and the PC card to recive boardband via satellite, but have no idea how to go about wheer to point the dish and if i have to pay for it, or if i can get it for free.

Thanks

Jamie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A google search for satellite internet will produce a bundle of choices, are you sure that there is no other broadband access there?

PS. Will move this to general chat, this section is only for registration or forum problems.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Welcome to the forum Seamonkey (do you know anything about banana boats ?)

Satellite broadband is the sort of thing I 'dabble' in. If you have a look at www.lyngsat.com and click on the satellites above Europe or Atlantic on the first page, you will see the broadband providers listings in purple.

Clicking on their logo should give you access to their sites, then its a question of finding out the regions they allow subscribers to pay, the speeds of download they cover and the cost of the equipment. Many will be ina foreign language (Italian and German especially)

When checking, make sure you confirm they are serving two way broadband, quite a few of them offer only one way from the dish (downlink) with the return run through the modem, which may not be of any use to you if you have a problem with the phone line in the first place.

As for kit, come back and ask

sherlockman

Reaction score
To Channel Hopper

Hello.

You wrote : If you have a look at www.lyngsat.com and click on the satellites above Europe or Atlantic on the first page, you will see the broadband providers listings in purple.

Sorry I couldn't find it?

You also mentioned something about the kit. I very interested to know what kit I need for a 2-way system, and for which satellite?

Thanks Alex

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Here's one company http://www.netsystem.com/eng/ it is one way, you need a telephone line for the outgoing path. They use Astra 19.2 #east. There are also others and some of them do 2 way connection via satellite, but it is very expensive.

adasil2002

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Here's one company http://www.netsystem.com/eng/ it is one way, you need a telephone line for the outgoing path. They use Astra 19.2 #east. There are also others and some of them do 2 way connection via satellite, but it is very expensive.
Hi RolfW!
Do you know any company that offers One-Way BroadBand to Sub-Saharan Africa? I found one, but now they are saying that are waiting for Eutelsat W3A for that...
Regards,

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry adasil2002, not particularly well versed on this subject any more, probably couldn't offer you any more information than is available on Google. The UK market for this is now understandably small, as ADSL and cable broadband have fairly good coverage now, the international market is though i believe, quite big.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
adasil2002 said:
Hi RolfW!
Do you know any company that offers One-Way BroadBand to Sub-Saharan Africa? I found one, but now they are saying that are waiting for Eutelsat W3A for that...
Regards,

What are they waiting for?? Eutelsat W3A went into service almost 3 months ago :D