Satellite Dish and LNB alternative?

lean_moha

Reaction score
I came accross a website for this company that was selling this cylindrical alternative satellite signal receptor. The page said this thing was an alternative to having a satellite dish especially for those living in flats/condos which don't allow you to put up a dish. It could appearantly sit on a window seal or some descrite place and still pick up very good signals.

Saddly I can't remember the URL and I didn't bookmark it. So was wondering if anyone had come across this devise and know exactly what is called. All I can remember is that it cost around £200-250 at the time I saw it.

tar

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, there is a thread here about it, looks like a motorbike exhaust pipe. :)

Will have a search for it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

lean_moha

Reaction score
Thanks Rolfw.

Threads were very amusing, moving oversized boulders on a roof oversized lamp posts and all.

Will probably put off the LX2000 pipe antenna idea for a bit given people seem to be hesitant about it and for that price even though much less than I saw it may proove be a waste of money seeing I'm trying to pick up a wide range of satellites.

The Dutch cubsats sound interesting though saves having to drill wholes into walls and all sorts just to what tv on my PC.

lean_moha

Reaction score
Hi

Kalamar Thanks for that. You know though when you say directional do you mean fixed as in non-motorised?

If so I wonder if you can advise on if my Pinnacle PCTV Sat-CI card running Mytheatre will work with a motorised dish. My DBV-S CI card is based on the TwinHam chipset.

I was asking in this satellite shop yesterday and the guy said not all recievers work with the motorised dishes

K

kalamar

hi
I know ZERO about the Pinnacle card as I use Nexus-S so I will let someone else answer that one.However I am using MyTheatre version 2.76 and it is the ultimate in my oppinion,I have tried them all and it is the winner for me. The newer versions of MyTheatre do not work properly for me. Like I always say {when I want to watch TV,I only use MyTheatre v 2.76} I have just about every viewer installed on my computer and experiment with them all when I feel like tweaking software.Conclusion MyTheatre 2.76. And yes it will do the DiSEqC thing no probs. The only thing it lacks is a good EPG and Remote support but has a very good channel and favorites list,and its very stable on my Nexus card.

K

kalamar

The Winegard dish is completely compatable with the SG-2100 motor ,it has all motor mounting holes already drilled and aligned,simple bolt on and will be correct.But dont know the area of availability. I have a lot of dishes in the back room and the Winegard is the easiest to install with the motor.Some are not even compatable with motors until modified,the mounts supplied with my Triax 110 cm will not even accept any motors,maybe there is a different mount for the dish but I had to make one for mine,not fun! the Patriot accepts motor but has no alignment holes for it ,you have to do some calculating for that. Begginer=Winegard good choice.

apogee2010

Reaction score
Any reviews that I have seen for the LX2000 have concluded that it has very poor gain and is a waste of money.

lean_moha

Reaction score
Thanks Kalamar.

Very insightfull. I too found MyTheatre to be the best though like you said remote control support is not all that good and despite Mytheatre being designed with the TwinHan chipset with onboard CAM interface in mind Pinnacle didn't provide the USB remote reciever interface that the TwinHan card they copied uses. So the Mytheatre guys told me to use v3.19 (a Beta update to 3.12 onwards) which has full remote support. Only thing is it closes itself at times but I'm hoping that's just down to signal issues and the fact I extended the lead from the dish by 20m using 2-way female plug thing.

So the DiSEqC thing is the stuff that handles motorised systems right? if so that's fine as my PCTV card supports that and the satelite finding software that comes with it has an annimation of upto 2 dishes (with upto 4 LNBs) rotating from one side to another.

You recomended a Winegard dish and SG-2100 motor roughly how much is all that? I mean I'm not in much of a rush to get my system motorised and don't really think need more than 90cm for now at least. In any case I will do a lot of shoping around to get them as cheap as possible.

Thankfully till then when my PC becomes the complete multimedia system I want it to I guess I can settle for broadband internet TV stations and there are appearantly loads about only problem is finding them, there's the ghosting and pixel problem at fullsreen with some, need loads of differnet software mediaplayer being the best I've come accros and you can't record. Oh and I've not found one that shows premiership and Champions league football other than bananatv.com just yet then again the season is over!!

lean_moha

Reaction score
Hi

Kamala, where did you get your winegate dish and the motor, I did a search on the net and all I came up with were US and Canadian sites

thanks