Satellite dish size restrictions?

nick1

Reaction score
Can sameone tell what size dish you can have on the side of your house. And what is a good make to buy? Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are in the UK and not in a restricted zone, or living in a listed building, then it is a 1m and 60cm dish.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Up to 1mtr (largest diameter, but they seldom get a ladder out if you show them the reciept).

Gibertini or Channelmaster are the ones to look out for.

Rgds

L.:)

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
nick1 said:
Can sameone tell what size dish you can have on the side of your house. And what is a good make to buy? Thanks

nick,

your best bet is to go to citizens advice in your town

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That shouldn't be necessary John, the planning guidelines for England are in a sticky thread at the top of this section.

If anyone is not sure whether they are in a listed building, or whether their area is a conservation area with special restrictions on antenna and dish erection, then the planning office of the local council are the people to speak to. Otherwise the sizes are as I mentioned in my first post, subject to dish placement criteria.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I can not understand that these laws in the UK are even legitimate? anyone even confronted them? i would not beleive they would hold under EU laws.

If you own your own house and property no one else can decide what you do on your own property you bought for £££, that's the regulations in our country anyway.

I can understand it if you live in a shared house or apartment building and you are are not the property owner.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
In the UK just because you buy your house doesn't mean you can do what you like.

johnwilliam1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500
strong 4375
pace digi box
triax 1.1, triax 88cm
My Location
UK.
rolfw said:
That shouldn't be necessary John, the planning guidelines for England are in a sticky thread at the top of this section.

If anyone is not sure whether they are in a listed building, or whether their area is a conservation area with special restrictions on antenna and dish erection, then the planning office of the local council are the people to speak to. Otherwise the sizes are as I mentioned in my first post, subject to dish placement criteria.

rolf,

the number of times i have tapped a letter in here and all of a sudden i have been told to put my name and password in again= realy frustrating

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Try logging out and deleting your cookies, then log in again. Make sure that you are accepting all cookies from this site.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Milkybarkid said:
In the UK just because you buy your house doesn't mean you can do what you like.

Then the whole concept falls thru with owning your own house in the UK if other regulators still decide what you can do.

Just that your country seems a bit freaky when it comes to dishes and many other things, guess it's the conservatism that still lives on within people that you still live in the 1950's and don't want to go on like the rest of the world.

staffspeted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 driven by Supermount SMR 1224 mount.
V-Box 11
Triple Dragon Linux Receiver.
Vantage VT-X221TSCI Blindscan Receiver.
Diablo Wireless cam and base.
42" Panasonic Plasma.
50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Lots of boys toys!
My Location
Herts , UK
Likvid said:
Then the whole concept falls thru with owning your own house in the UK if other regulators still decide what you can do.

Just that your country seems a bit freaky when it comes to dishes and many other things, guess it's the conservatism that still lives on within people that you still live in the 1950's and don't want to go on like the rest of the world.

Well said mate, its bollocks here!!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Come on, the planning controls we have in the UK are a good thing in the main, allowing people to do what they like with building and extensions would lead to monstrosities.

We are not alone in having strict planning guidelines, I believe that it is similar in France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

The limitations on Dish size affects a very small percentage of people, it is really only hobbyists who require bigger than the sizes in the guidelines and even then it may still be possible to excede these with planning permission.

If to be like the rest of the world means allowing planning anarchy, then I think I prefer us being different. ;)

Snuffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystarcard,Fortec's life time ultra's, MaxPlus 2100's,Dreambox and a Tandberg
My Location
Amsterdam
Artikel 10 of Roma:

If that signal what you will recieve is not received by any cable, you may use a instalation to received it.

Ask HAM-Radio operators they now this rule verry well.

frankg4553

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre Channel Master with matched feedhorn + Inverto 0.3dB lnb.

1224 H to H motor ground mounted.
Technomate 5400CI+ USB and
v-box
My Location
Wirral
I removed my post after reading rolf's reply to Likvid :-doh! ...but government in this country does make me see red )(-red