Satellite Distribution Help!!

stevefranks

Reaction score
Hi. I have searched for a similar thread, but cannot find one..

I own and live in a courtyard development with around 10 small houses and flats (very small!). I would like to install the following for everyone living here:

*Sky
*Hotbird
*DAB Aerial
*Digital TV Aerial

I have Sky and a motorised system that I installed myself, but I shall be moving this as I am redeveloping a derelict unit. I thought that I had may as well serve all flats etc when I put the system back up. Is there a multiswitch that will allow me to have a two 80cm dishes for Sky and Hotbird, one DAB aerial and one digital aerial. I would like to install a wall plate in every flat with point for sky, hotbird (will install two receivers in each flat), DAB and Digital TV.

If anyone knows how to wire this, and what equipment I should buy, could you let me know?

I have 2x 80cm Dishes already. Will I therefore need 2 x Quattro LNBs + all the other equipment?

I would like to have least amount of dishes and aerials, and sky hotbird, digital tv and digital radio into each flat.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not too difficult to do if you have the right installation equipment and know what you are doing, you can buy a two satellite multiswitch (9 in x out) you will need to combine your DAB and UHF signal prior to the switch and amplify both.

I don't know which country you are in, but in the UK you really need to bond the distribution system to a common Earth as there are both safety and insurance issues if you don't.

There is a long thread in the section to which I am moving this and also Spiney has done a HowTo on multipoint systems.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Fine but it is only 8 outlets, you also have to take account of people wanting Sky+ and the probability of a bigger dish and or line amplifier for the IF part of the system and a launch amp for the RF side.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Best thing would be to use one of the cascadable type multiswitches that distribute 2 satellites, 9 trunk wires needed, but should only need 2 "boxes" for this size installation, so not a big wiring problem!

For WISI multiswitches see www.jwhardy.co.uk (page 9).

For Spaun ones see www.teldis.com .

See my multiswitch guide.

Spaun actually do a 16 output "standalone" twin satellite multiswitch, which for only 10 flats should have enough spare outlets for any future Sky+. I don't think it's currently stocked by Teldis (but you could ask them).

See: http://www.spaun.de/html/smk_99162_f.html .

Hmm ..., I think I'd still go for the older Spaun 9000 series, which Teldis have, and which allows (useful) separate adjustment of trunks and each outlet.