satellite equipment (for premeirship football)

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
Hi all

I have been visiting this site for months and have finally compiled a list of equipment i want to buy in the next few days. I want to watch premiership matches + pick up football feeds (I already have the $ky world package - but there are still a lot of other games that are not shown).

Will this equipment do the job, i live in west London.

1.Humax IRCI 5400 Patched with FreeCam +2002D (from astratech)
or
Humax IRCI 5400 Z + Allcam Patch (from byrmar.co.uk)
-- which one would u go for - or are they the same?

2. 88CM triax dish
3. disecq 1.2 motor mount
4. 0.6db universal LNB
5. wall bracket + installation kit

6. masterA II programmer
or
Multipro2000 -- which one would u go for?

7. PIC II silver card
8. satellite finder

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Raz

P.S This is an excellent forumn - keep it up everyone.

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
After a lot of thought and advice i have decided to go for the 1.1m triax dish instead of the 88cm . This is because of all the feeds/channels i might not pick up with a standard 88cm.

Question to all of you are

1. will the diseqc 1.2 motor be able to reliably rotate the 1.1m dish?

if the answer is no...

Anyone recommend a good motor mount for the Humax 5400 and a 1.1m triax dish - i have heard i might need a separate positioner box if I don't go for a diseqc motor - is that true???

Any good positioners for the humax?

cheers
Raz.

M

maccy

dont get a cryptic or stab motor mate !!!!
theres a manufacturing fault with them i ve had too both same fault iol leaking out or water getting in both siezed up
bloody useless
no luck with manufacturere either stab italy!!!!
stay well clear!!!!!!!!!!!

maccy

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
With a dish of that size its best to stay with a traditional H to H mount and use a positioner converter box.

You can then go up a few sizes of dish once you find its still not big enough

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
>>traditional H to H mount and use a positioner converter box

which combination would u guys recommend?

>> You can then go up a few sizes of dish once you find its still not big enough

what 1.1m not enough???

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Depends what you really want out of the system. If maximum channels are your thing, or maybe catching something that noone else has seen or is broadcast ahead of the crowd then size is more or less essential

How big is your garden ?

There are approximately 150 satellites above the UK that can be accessed with the right equipment, more if you start looking at the non commercial frequencies

Even then it wont be big enough

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
Originally posted by maccy
dont get a cryptic or stab motor mate !!!!
theres a manufacturing fault with them i ve had too both same fault iol leaking out or water getting in both siezed up
bloody useless
no luck with manufacturere either stab italy!!!!
stay well clear!!!!!!!!!!!

maccy

:( Ive just bought one for my system...hope i have better luck.They carry a 3 year warranty so hope i will be ok.

Lee

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If the position is not too exposed then there is some chance it will last

Just make sure the dealer remains round the corner. Some have a nasty habit of changing names and even disappearing overnight

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
>>traditional H to H mount and use a positioner converter box

which combination would u guys recommend for the Humax + 1.1m dish + 0.6db LNB?

thanks
Raz

P.S. budget is about £250 for the positioner and mount

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Where abouts do you live, and what is the arrangement with satellite, wall , roof, location

A 1.1m suitable with devent H to H motor, feed ,positioner adapter for less than £200. Good wall mount and polewill push it up to close to the budget

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
sorry i meant £250 for just the mount and positioner only, others are taken care of.

thanks.

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
The V Box is your best bet for the Humax.It converts normal 1.2 Diseqc to be convertional to 4 wire control.It increases the output to 3 amps.This will then enable you to use a heavier duty motor.
There is a good site >>HERE<< that has some good advice pages.They sell good gear too.

Lee

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
thanks a lot Lee32uk and C H

the v-box looks good. Don't Humax do a positioner?

How about a good mount, something like the Jaeger perhaps - any recommendations and where to get them from?

thanks again everyone.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
When you say a mount, how is the dish to be installed

gain if its an exposed position or you live in a particularly windy location , you ought to look at going for something that connects to a 3" post.

Geotrack whilst it will do this, has metal clamps and a bracket that seem to bend when you tighten the bols so I would look at something in the local shop that you cannot bend when you step on it

I know thia sounds amaterurish, but the quality of kit around lately for small dishes is not long lasting (rant rant). Most dealers will sell what makes money and to hell with problems just outside warranty, especially if you are doing the install yourself as they can blame the faults on the method of installation rather than product quality.

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
just talked to my dealer and i'm going for the diseqc 1.2 motor mount with the 1.1m triax dish.

The dish is going on a wall just 2 inches above my extension roof so the only thing i will need to worry about is crosswinds.

Hopefully the diseqc motor mount will be strong enough to support the dish in crosswinds.

The dealer recommended getting 2 support brackets holding the mount firmly in place so the only thing to worry about would be the actual motor gripping the dish.

Anyone had any problems with diseqc 1.2 motor mount in very strong winds or any problems in general with this set up?

cheers
Raz

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
Hi all

I have finally bought and installed my system. The final spec. was:

- humax 5400 + allcam 2000g patch
- 85cm dish + 0.6db lnb (i can pick up hispasat and thor with no problems at all)
- Jaeger 120G diseqc 1.2 motor mount
- Multipro2000 + funcard (256 version)

wow - this system rocks, i get loads of satellites and very good signals.

While watching the Newcastle Vs West Hame game on Sky Sports, I noticed that 3 european channels were showing it, one of them with Alan Parry commentating.

Also watched The Mexican (in English) on one of the PPV channels.

Lets hope the football and movies continue to show for a long time to come.

B.T.W. I still need to program in a couple of more satellites like turksat, arabsat, eutlesat, telestar etc. Where do i find satellite frequencies from to insert into the Humax when trying to locate the channels?

thanks to all who helped me finalise my equipment requirements

cheers
Raz.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you're able to manually add new transponders, then http://www.satcodx.com and http://www.lyngsat.com will give you the information you require.

There also some Humax data files available on some of the download sites, but if its only a couple of bits and pieces to add it'll probably be safer to add them manually.

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
Hi Rolfw

Thanks for the info. So if I wanted to capture the channels for Eutelsat W2 at 16.0°E what frequency would i put into the humax antenna settings screen. There are so many to choose from, see here (http://www.lyngsat.com/ew2.shtml).

Do i just randomly pick a frequency and hope it locates the Eutelsat W2 satellite?

thanks
Raz

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Since 16E is midway between two powerful satellite signal positions, getting it forst time may not be straightforward. There should be a name for 16E on the database, probably W3

Move the dish to where you think it is , probably by looking at the number of counts (or short pushes of the East West buttons and halving).

You should pick a frequency which has a MCPC transponder on it, (for 16 East the Georgian mux is 30000 symbol rate and powerful)

Put in all the parameters, and then move the dish until the signal bar registers as high as it will go and then store the position.

Then start manually scanning using the advanced menu as many are SCPC and not too easy to detect with the Humax

I do like TMF on this satellite (clear), and some of the Romanian channels. Showtime should come in with the right card parameters which has some great B movies, so Ive been told

raz247

Reaction score
My Location
West London
CH, your saying, to successfully tune in a satellite (and its respective channels), I should look for a strong transponder with a symbol rate of at least 30000.

e.g. looking at http://www.lyngsat.com/ew2.shtml (Eutelsat W2 - 16E)

Channels British Telecom , Royal Bank of Scotland TV, Georgian TV, etc, have the following values:

Freq 11304 V, SR 30000, FEC 3/4

The next steps are:

1. put these values on the humax
2. search for strong signal by moving dish east/west via the humax
3. when picked up a strong signal do a manual/automatic search of channels
4. then repeat for another satellite.

This all makes sense now, I'll try it out 2nite.

cheers CH
Riaz.