Satellite position help

hamper

Reaction score
I have a question for you.

Where I live I am almost surrounded by trees, the only clear spot I have is towards the south west.

Can you tell me the exact position using a compass I would need to point my dish so I could receive the Sky package.

Second question would the trees be critical to receiving a picture,why I ask is because I had the Sky people round and they said the trees would be a problem receiving a picture...do I need a clear line of vision up to the satellite?.

I would like to receive the Sky package but before I buy anything I need to know if I will get a picture, are some receivers better than others at receiving I wonder.

Any help on this problem much appreciated

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
hamper said:
Can you tell me the exact position using a compass I would need to point my dish so I could receive the Sky package.

First thing to check is the neighbours, if they have a dish it is likely to be pointing at the Sky sats at 28.2 East.

If the Sky people doubt you can get a good view I would trust them.

before I buy anything

A chainsaw perhaps!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sky installers are always rushing to either get the job done or cancelled, so although they may suggest that there may not a clear line of sight, there may well be, but you won't be able to check it accurately with a compass. You need to phone an independent to check with a dish and meter. may cost you though.

hamper

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys...I don't have any near neighbours so I can not check for there dishes.

Can you not give me any idea what the compass reading would be then I will know if the trees are going to be in the way or if I can find a path round them..

Cheers

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
On this site choose 28.2 deg East - 'your location' and 'calculate' this will provide a diagram of the position, from South, of the Satellites - hope this helps...

hxxp://satlex.de/en/azel_calc-first_1.html

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
hamper said:
I have a question for you.

Second question would the trees be critical to receiving a picture,why I ask is because I had the Sky people round and they said the trees would be a problem receiving a picture...do I need a clear line of vision up to the satellite?.

Im sure you appreciate that trees *are* critical by now, if they are in the way your not going to get a signal !!..... but not lets forget elevation, which is fairly steep and you may be able to look over the top of the trees..... my dish is on the ground fairly close to the house but still manages to look over the top of the roof and get a 95% signal reading.