Satellite receiver advice

C

Culagh

I'm planning on buying a patched SAMSUNG DSR 9500 VIA CI receiver as it is my first foray into satellite and it seems to be a nice middle of the road choice. Other friends have tried to convince me differently, either a Humax 5400 or the Hyundai HSS1000. As they are a bit dearer I'm reluctnat to go down this road if it's not necessary. Can anyone give their opinion on my choice and say whether it can be used in a similar way to the others.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Samsung is an excellent receiver Culagh, but don't do what I've done in the past, that is saving a small amount short term and ending up with a longer term loss. That is having to buy supplemental CAMs or upgrade to a receiver that does everything I eventually want.

You might also consider which receiver has the best positioner, most readily available software upgrades and the best and most readily available hex files.

Rolf

C

Culagh

>You might also consider which receiver has the best
>positioner, most readily available software upgrades and the
>best and most readily available hex files.

Thanks for your reply Rolf, what your feelings on the Hyundai, do you think this would do a better job. I'm mainly interested in getting films as I'm not interested in sport, believe it or not :-ohmy)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't have any experience of the HSS1000irci Culagh, although a couple of forum members do own them and say they are very good (I have the HSS800ci, with a freecam 2.018). The problem with any advice on which is the best receiver, is that many people only have experience of one or at best two different receivers, so you will get someone singing the praises of the Humax and urging you to buy one, when in truth they have possibly never tried the competition.

I'm still wondering also, how effective the re-flashed embedded Freecams will be when the newer encryptions really kick in and whether they will have memory limitations. It may be prudent to go for a twin Ci receiver and acquire a Magic Module or similar, which may give one longer term flexibility.

A difficult choice at the moment and it isn't getting any easier. :)

Rolf

C

Culagh

>A difficult choice at the moment and it isn't getting any
>easier. :)

Yes I've been reading up about this and this is another reason why I don't want to commit a lot of money to something that I don't know much about and what may become a bit obsolete.

What are your thought on PCI Sateliite cards. PCs are sorta my hobby and so would it be worth entertaining one of these cards. I've read the PCI card forum and it's all very interesting and I like the look of the TechniSat SkyStar 1, would this be a good choice if I was to go down this road.

Hope I'm not being a bore :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The PCI satellite card can be a good low cost option, the Skystar 1 and some of the similar generic cards like the Hauppauge and Technotrend, will all operate under Multidec softcam, so a CAM is not necessary. See http://www.happysat.de/

The price of these cards seems to have come down in the recent past, i wish I'd bought one now and not a couple of years ago :)

Rolf

C

Culagh

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Jun-02 AT 00:18 AM (GMT)]>The PCI satellite card can be a good low cost option, the
>Skystar 1 and some of the similar generic cards like the

That might well be the way to go and if I get to like it I can always upgrade to a proper receiver. Do you know Rolfw if the software that comes with these cards can control a motorised dish i.e. DiSEqC 1.2 I think it's called, as I inherited a old dish with a motor which got me started on this subject in the first place.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure what version of DiseqC the Skystar has, but you can look at the Multidec settings here http://members.home.nl/happysat/MD/DVB_Hacking_Using_Multidec_80.html

Rolf

stevio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
uh::
Samsung 9500 is a lovely machine.get the 2 ci version.
It is the fastest zapping channel change i have come across.
The organisation of the sat information is very flexible and the info in the onscreen display is comprehensive to even give the encryptions used in the data stream.

Samsung have been very clever in marketing this machine,reasonably priced and the alternative softwares transform this viaccess into
seca,conax nagra and conax.

Ok so there are no conax hacks,but this still remains a flexible machine.
Add an irdeto eurocam..£65 ? and funcards with 5 in 1 files work in the ci slots.

You can reload the latest official software, should matters change with the alternatives.Or add a different cam for future compatability..

regards
Stevio

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
I've had a SamsungDSR9500 VIA CI with v118 software and an irdeto 1.06 cam - goes great and in spite of a few probs well recommended.
Probs were of my making - Sammy runs hot - needs a completely open shelf (nothing at sides) and if you use serial lead to link to your pc do take it out at sammy end asap after editing etc - I got a lockup leaving mine in and only got a reset by powering off, removing ALL leads and cables - and then powering on again to see display show clock again(quite a relief!) then powering off and reconnecting all leads except serial. Others have experienced an overheating shutdown where mains needed to be off for about a halfhour and books taken off top before things got back to normal!!
It loves 6in1 files - is very fast - does a nice picture - takes your old goldies in built in embedded slots, has diseqc1.2 motor support and a pretty poor manual which you probably wont need as your instinct will see you through!
Well worth the money - I'd buy one again!