Satellite setup help

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Ok, yes I am a newbee...

I need aome help setting up my dish, I had a friend get all this set up for me since I am now living in Odessa, Ukraine and don't speak very good russian. So I have a dish aprox 1M in diameter, mounted on the top of the building where I can see the Black sea, it has three LNB's, I do not know the brand names, the lnb's are setup like so:

my location, thanks to a Delorme Earthmate I brought with me.

Lat 46.27749 N
Lon. 30.451736
elev aprox 60M

A/A Sirius 5E
A/B Hotbird 13E
B/A Amos 4w

I am trying to find more english channels, and was told if I turned the dish aprox 2cm I could pick-up 19.2.
After looking Astra 28E has alot more english channel's, so would 5cm work in my case ?
My reciever is a DB500S running 2.6 Gemini on it.. I am working on a motor, but as of yet do not know what is available in this part of the country.
Also, when I had the Dish installed, I found an older dish on top of the house, it has to be at least 2M in diameter, anything I can use this dish for ?

Thanks, any help appr.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Perhaps you can use the 2m dish for the astra 28.2 satellite, you won't get anything on Astra 2D (BBCs and ITVs), but you will get some other English language channels.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Globo 6000
My Location
Odessa, Ukraine
Rolfw,

Thanks for the reply, what do you think about the 5cm, if I use the other dish "I will try and take some pictures and send" I will have to buy more equipment to get it up and running, lnb's, etc... I will think about it in the future once I know it's capabilities, and where I should point it etc...

I don't understand what BBC and ITC is, unless your talking about BBC World or Prime. I would really like just to have some bacis american or english channels, like discovery, history, animal planet... at my age, this is what I like..

my only tools right now are a compass, and determination. I a finding satellites quite exciting, I think it will become my hobby for the next 20 years...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi Tornado-Odessa.

It would be interesting to know what size dish you need to get Astra 2D 28E. My GF lives in Chernivtsy, her father has said I can have a dish for when I visit. Only problem is I can't speak Ukrainian to ask local dealers!

The best channels are BBC1 and BBC2 ITV is not a great channel. If you are allowed to have a large dish, I guess you will need one as big as 6-7 M or larger. You are a bit further away than Chernivtsy.