Satellite system suitable for use in UK to pick up South African channels

Graham1982

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Several PCs networked around home;
SKY minidish with quad lmb installed on side of house presumed working.
Grundig SD Freesat box presumed working - to be connected.
My Location
Northampton (central) - England.
Hi all:

I was wondering if there would be a dish/decoder available that would enable me to do the above. I have a redundant Sky dish on the side of my house - modern quad LMB but this needs a service. I assume this will be too small. However could you tell me the following:

a. Is this possible at all with any dish?
b. If I cannot use old Sky dish for this purpose what size dish would I need - could it be mounted to the side of the house without looking silly?

Thanks

Graham

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
You're in the wrong hemisphere: I know you know that, but it's a big and insurmountable problem as it means you are way, way out of the Footprint of Geostationary Satellites Targeted southwards from the Equator.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The only South African channel you can watch in Europe is ENCA News, transmitted in the clear from the "UK" satellites at 28E

If you have friends / family in SA with decent broadband you could slingbox the channels from SA to the UK via broadband

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
If you have a large enough dish (1.5m and above), you can probably get sub-Saharan beam for Multichoice SA on 36E. I can get 1 transponder on my 1.2m but you need a subscription to receive that.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Analoguesat said:
The only South African channel you can watch in Europe is ENCA News, transmitted in the clear from the "UK" satellites at 28E

If you have friends / family in SA with decent broadband you could slingbox the channels from SA to the UK via broadband
Not sure the internet option is too viable. Uncapped "up to 10Mbps" residential ADSL is R1847/month!!!! (about £130) And that's just overnight, during the day it's restricted to 650Kbps, evenings are 1Mbps. No idea on the upload speeds.

1Mbps with a 5GB/month data limit is R412/month (about £29).

Doesn't look like internet access has improved much since I left.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I guess we shouldn't moan too much about our broadband here, despite many other countries being way ahead of us.