Satellite through a window (aka things to try when it snows)

NoviceSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5300D M2 + 2600 + 80cm mesh dish
My Location
SW England
With all the snow in the UK I decided to try pointing my 80cm dish through a bedroom window and see if I could get any signal. (The Sky dish was covered in snow and I couldn't get to it to knock the snow off).

I attached the dish to a tripod and then balanced the tripod on a work chair (has wheels and can rotate). I used my simple satellite meter and just hunted for a high-pitch beep. I knew roughly which direction 28E was and soon enough I got something. However on trying to tune into any BBC/ITV/Sky channel I wasn't getting any picture.

I used Crazyscan, found a strong transponder and looked up the frequency/polarization on Lyngsat. It turned out I'd found 23E. Tuning in to one of the FTA stations I found some Dutch TV - I could see they had snow too :-)

So thinking that 23E for me is weaker than 28E I had another search. This time I found 28E and could receive BBC/ITV channels. What surprised me is that my dish at this point is 45 degrees to the window, but was still collecting above-minimum-level signal strength. What suprised me even more is that in the evening when I closed the curtains the dish setup still worked. I only lost 1% in quality/strength through the curtain fabric.

A bit more playing on the next day allowed me to find 19E through the window too - although the number of channels was lower as I couldn't receive all transponders. It was interesting to note that H polarity transponders were stronger than V polarity transponders.

Satellites further east of 28E weren't obtainable (I tried for 42E and 39E), but this might be due to trees being in the way. Anything west of 19E wasn't visible from the window as the brickwork was in the way. I wanted to try the satellite dish in the attic after this (then I would clear most of the trees), but I can't get the dish through the hole in the ceiling!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Entertaining stuff!

The firing through windows (etc) topic pops up fairly regularly and often seems to confound theory and pontification.

Single glazing, double glazing, type of glass, angle of attack etc. etc. are all there to confound - so it's nice to hear of some not inconsiderable success.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
NoviceSat said:
It was interesting to note that H polarity transponders were stronger than V polarity transponders.
I have a similar issue with the dishes on my balcony which can be closed off with glass panels, the glass almost cuts out all the vertical signals, but horizontal signals pass through without much problem.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Horizontal polarised signals will be refracted to a certain degree through an angled medium more than vertically polarised ones.

An 80cm dish will give approximately 4 times the signal of a standard Zone 1 Astra 2 dish, giving a good advantage through glass.