Satellite TV Hardware & Service For Iraq

pgg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
I'm an American, and know almost nothing about satellite TV service that's available outside the US. My apologies if this is a poor choice of forums for asking these questions.

In short, I'm looking for advice and sources of information about hardware and service for satellite TV in western Iraq.

When I was in Afghanistan last year, one of the locals sold me a small dish and receiver to get FTA TV programming. I don't recall which satellite it was pointed at - we ended up with a handful of English channels including CNN, BBC, Eurosport, and dozens of continuous live phone s_x ad channels.

I'm going to Iraq in a couple months, and I'm interested in buying a small dish and receiver to take with me - I'm sure I can get a better system by planning ahead than by (again) trusting the shady guy who parks his van by the gate. Either FTA or paid subscription programming is OK.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what receivers I should be looking at, which satellites I can hit from western Iraq, or what English language programming is available. (Ironically, I'm very familiar with Middle Eastern satellite internet service, and have a 1.2 m bidirectional dish packed up and ready to go for my unit to use. But I know nothing about ordinary TV service over there.)

Ideally, I'd be able to buy a dish, mounting hardware, and receiver all in one package. Where do I begin? I'd appreciate any tips, pointers, sales pitches, etc.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Check this out - dish may be a bit small but I'm sure you can find a larger dish from your job spec.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96125972@N00/sets/307676/show/

From this thread...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?p=215521#post215521

pgg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
gameboy said:
Check this out - dish may be a bit small but I'm sure you can find a larger dish from your job spec.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96125972@N00/sets/307676/show/

From this thread...

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?p=215521#post215521

That's pretty cool. However, I've got a fair amount of cargo space available, and I don't expect to be moving a whole lot ... so I'm leaning toward quality over portability. That poster said he wasn't too impressed with the LNB, and I'm sort of suspicious of what kind of receiver + dish you can get for 100 Euro. (Maybe I just have inflated expectations of what I'll have to pay for a decent system.)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With a 2m or so dish you should be able to pick up the widebeam on Hotbird 13E, if you can then acquire a Powerview receiver and subscription, you can watch the AFN channels.

mochaman340

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sku digibox or humax receiver
My Location
Middle East; Kuwait
'm an American, and know almost nothing about satellite TV service that's available outside the US. My apologies if this is a poor choice of forums for asking these questions.

In short, I'm looking for advice and sources of information about hardware and service for satellite TV in western Iraq.

When I was in Afghanistan last year, one of the locals sold me a small dish and receiver to get FTA TV programming. I don't recall which satellite it was pointed at - we ended up with a handful of English channels including CNN, BBC, Eurosport, and dozens of continuous live phone s_x ad channels.

I'm going to Iraq in a couple months, and I'm interested in buying a small dish and receiver to take with me - I'm sure I can get a better system by planning ahead than by (again) trusting the shady guy who parks his van by the gate. Either FTA or paid subscription programming is OK.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea what receivers I should be looking at, which satellites I can hit from western Iraq, or what English language programming is available. (Ironically, I'm very familiar with Middle Eastern satellite internet service, and have a 1.2 m bidirectional dish packed up and ready to go for my unit to use. But I know nothing about ordinary TV service over there.)

Ideally, I'd be able to buy a dish, mounting hardware, and receiver all in one package. Where do I begin? I'd appreciate any tips, pointers, sales pitches, etc.

NO problem let me help. I have been here twice in central and northern iraq all you need is a 1m dish or so pointed at Hotbird to get English language programming that you mentioned earlier. Also if you are a Govt unit you can order an AFN box for free. This also works off Hotbird 13. Get with a local and have them get you a standard digital satellite receiver with a card and you should be set. If you have any other questions, post them and ill try to answer. As far as models of receivers , I recommend Starsat or Strong both of which i have owned and successfullly used here. Let me know if this helps

powel000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
Absolutely, get a powervu unit through your local Military office and get AFN. Afn was great when we had it.