Satellite TV in a field in France

Steve Wallace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Setting up a mobile system for Le Mans 2006
My Location
London
Hi,
Apologies if I've posted in the wrong thread here but I'm a newbie...

My question is as follows
With both the World Cup and the Le mans 24 Hour race on TV I'm thinking of investing in a mobile satellite setup to take with me to the race this year..

I'm assuming that I need a decoder and dish, which are easily purchased, along with the SatFinder in a kit, but what about viewing cards etc.

MotorsTV which is the chanel broadcasting the race is available on the Sky platform, but do I have to pay for a full subscription for 12 months to Sky just for the 1 week that I want this for, or is there another way?

Sorry if this is basic...

Thanks

Steve

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Steve Wallace
Sky will take your money certainly, and the minimum contract period is 12 months. However Motors TV is transmitted on other satellites apart from Astra 2 e.g. there is Hotbird 13deg East, and it only takes an old MM cam with fun files to open that ATM. I would suggest that you research some more though before spending good money, with this hobby what is open now may not be open tomorrow

Steve Wallace

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Setting up a mobile system for Le Mans 2006
My Location
London
Hi T,
Thanks for the info, but as a complte novice what doers the following mean?

"and it only takes an old MM cam with fun files to open that ATM."

On the Sky front. they offered me this deal, what do people think, since I only want the connection for 1 week of this year...

can confirm that Sky now offers a Month by Month subscription which allows customers to view Sky without a 12 month minimum contract. Please see below for further details regarding this service:

• Sky TV Month by Month subscription service is only open to new customers.
  • Standard installation costs are 99.00 (GBP), this includes Digibox and equipment however if there is already equipment installed, there is no charge.
  • An additional 4.00 (GBP) will be charged on the selected subscription package (plus any stand-alone premium channels).
  • You are billed on a monthly basis and can pay by direct debit, credit card or invoice and pay one month subscription upfront.
  • If you wish to view any Sky Box Offices you will need to contact our Customer Service Team on 08702 40 40 40, there is a 1.00 (GBP) booking fee for these events.
While you are on the Month by Month subscriptions, you will be unable to subscribe to either Sky+ or Multiroom. However you are able to upgrade at anytime to become a full subscriber by taking a 12 month contract. If you wish to upgrade please contact our Customer Service Team on the above number.

Thank

Steve

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting, Sky obviously feel that they are missing out on subscriptions from people in short term rented accommodation, looks to be ideal for your purposes. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
France is a big country and if any of the channels you want are transmitted on the Astra 2D satellite then a standard $ly Minidish won't be large enough for mid to south of France. Channels on 2D include the BBC and ITV bouquets and a few $ly channels.

Check here for a full list of channels that are on 2D that may interest you.

If none of them interest you then stick with a minidish or 60cm standard dish.

BTW, where are you going in France?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A minidish or 60cm should be fine for Le Mans, which is i think where the OP is going. :)