Satellites and TV licensing

c-m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
45 sky minidish, Quad LNB, Twinhan Starbox
My Location
Norfolk
I know if you have a TV card in your computer and its used to watch TV you require a TV license. I am also aware that if you have a tv but it it de-tuned, say to watch only DVDs or video games etc.. you do not need a license.

But how does it work with Satellite? Obviously if I had it at Astra2d or Eurobird I could pick up bbc etc.. and require a license but, I have a minidish pointing at Astra 19.2E. From this satellite it is impossible for me to watch any UK terestiral channels.

in this instance would I require a TV license?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I am also aware that if you have a tv but it it de-tuned, say to watch only DVDs or video games etc.. you do not need a license.

Are you sure?

A valid TV Licence is required if you use a television receiving equipment such as video recorders, set top boxes or PCs with broadcast cards.

_http://www.uclan.ac.uk/studenthelp/televisionlicenses.shtml

_http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5081350.stm
_http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=406915&in_page_id=2
_http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp

c-m

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
45 sky minidish, Quad LNB, Twinhan Starbox
My Location
Norfolk
That can't all be entirely accurate, since at a previous address I wrote to TV lisencing informing them that I do have a TV and that it is detuned and used only as a monitor. I received a letter of acknowledgement from them and it got them off my back.

obivously my situation is different now and I do use a Satellite receiver for watching broardcasts and hence require a TV lisence.

I would be interested to know what their stance would be if the satellite receiver was used only for internet access?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I have been sending emails for over 6 months, to the relevant department:
Department for Culture, Media & Sport
2-4 Cockspur Street
London
SW1Y 5DH
Asking for clarification, I came up with this example:
If I get rid of the following appliances:
1. All televisions, with built in tuners.
2. All DVD recorders and VCR’s with tuners.
3. Digital satellite receiver, Echostar 3600, receives digital and analogue signals, used for viewing foreign satellite channels.
4. Nokia freeview box, terrestrial digital tuner.

But retain the following appliances.
1. Self built computer, contains no hardware tuners for digital or analogue, terrestrial or satellite reception, but is used with a broadband connection.
2. DVD player, without a tuner.
3. TFT monitor/television without a tuner.
4. Various radios, including digital.

Could I then legally stop paying for a Television License?

But they wont answer the question just keep directing me to their web site, which doesn't clarify the situation, probably because of the fact that you can now watch TV over the internet, and they haven't come up with a policy on this, or more likely they don't like losing any form of tax:)

fraser70

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion p4 2.6gh 2x 250gb hdd
42 inch lcd goodmans
medion dvb-t card powercinema
dvb-s twinhan 1034 pci card
skyb digital dish and lnb from sky
mytheatre
no cams yet as newbie
My Location
scotland
total agree who has the right to tax us for a service that can be provided for free by other providers!
What happened to the free market place as this is an infringement on other providers dont they get a share of the licence fee.
goverment tax not a service charge it should be scrammbled and charged for and not taken as a tax from people for simply owning equipment.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
So just to clarify frazer70
You are advocating that all transmissions within the UK both terrestrial and digital should be scrambled and you only pay for what you want to watch?

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Their warning letters now even include PCs and mobiles in the list of items that require a licence. It's very vaguely worded (like all communication with them) and would seem to suggest that any mobile or PC is in need of being licenced which we all know isn't the case. We all know a PC without a TV tuner of any kind and without any IPTV service does NOT require one. As for mobiles, even ones that receive TV programmes shouldn't need a licence. Why? Well have any of you tried using a phone off the mains that doesn't have a battery in? It simply won't work, and so a mobile with TV services is essentially a small portable which runs off batteries and you don't need a licence for that (IIRC, unless they've changed the rules of the game again)

fraser70

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion p4 2.6gh 2x 250gb hdd
42 inch lcd goodmans
medion dvb-t card powercinema
dvb-s twinhan 1034 pci card
skyb digital dish and lnb from sky
mytheatre
no cams yet as newbie
My Location
scotland
:-worship Yes.......:-worship it should be a pay per view or subscription then if you are using and cought you are fined for theft really easy.
Very simply just like pay tv if its rubbish no one will want to watch and it will sink and if its good people will pay much like sky has.
no one should be forced to pay it should be becouse the item is good and you would like to purchase.
All other tv can be paid for through advertisments this is how the other channels make a living thous poor families will still have free tv but with adverts
:-Nooo The
Code:
.BBC
is supposed to be advert free becouse you the licence holder has paid for the cost of the channels, watch and see how many adverts their is for things on it.:-Nooo
:-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
This is going off topic, the thread is about the situations and equipment requiring a licence, not the case for and against a licence fee. There are several threads in the forum on that debate, do a search for licence fee.

moffatt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview, BT Total Broadband, BT Broadband Talk
My Location
Atherstone, Nr. B'ham/Cov.
You only need a licence fee if you watch transmissions. You don't need a licence to watch dvds or play games using a TV.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Can you cite some evidence to support that statement? Is it a fact or an opinion?

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
That is definately fact. There's absolutely no legal requirement for a licence if a TV isn't being used to watch TV broadcasts. The evidence should be somewhere on TVL's website (although they might've buried it somewhere deep inside!)

NitroB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-1500Ci+ Super - 1.5m Centre feed - 0.3dB Lnb
My Location
East Anglia
I always thought (going back to the TV dector van adverts) that if the equipment was capable of recieving transmission of state broadcast (ie BBC TV, BBC Radio) there was a requirement for a license.

TV Licensing state, "If your computer is capable of receiving live broadcasts, whether on-line, or through an aerial or satellite dish, then it is classed as television receiving equipment. This means a licence is needed to receive BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Five, digital television, other terrestrial services, satellite television and cable television." Which means every member of the British public that owns a computer with online access or Office that uses computers connected to the internet requires a TV License.

Ouch......

moffatt

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview, BT Total Broadband, BT Broadband Talk
My Location
Atherstone, Nr. B'ham/Cov.
mhku said:
Can you cite some evidence to support that statement? Is it a fact or an opinion?

Evidence? It's all clearly stated in the Communications Act. Do a search, have a read.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
mhku said:
does not quite equal:p

I could go and find the evidence for you, but then you could find it yourself. I already know what the situation is and I don't believe it's changed recently. ;)

Also, there's an anti-licence forum out there that has some clued up members (some are a little scary though!)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
But I don't care :p

c-m: here's your definitive answer:

It's all clearly stated in the Communications Act. Do a search, have a read.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
mhku said:
But I don't care :p

I know how you feel - that's why I didn't waste my time digging around the bowels of TVL's website to "prove" what I said... :) U-zzz

NitroB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-1500Ci+ Super - 1.5m Centre feed - 0.3dB Lnb
My Location
East Anglia
'The law is clear. Anyone who watches or records television programmes as they are being broadcast or otherwise distributed must be covered by a valid TV licence.

'A valid licence entitles the named holder and anyone who lives with them to watch live television on any device at that address (eg on a television set or on a PC), and on any device powered solely by its internal batteries (eg mobile phones or PDAs) away from home.

'In practice, 98% of households currently own televisions and therefore already require valid TV licences to watch TV programmes. So, for the vast majority of people, there are no issues about the need for separate TV licences for PCs as they would already be covered by any existing valid TV licence they may have.

'However, if a customer currently has no licence they will need to obtain one to watch live programmes on their PC. A TV licence is required regardless of what channel you watch, including cable, satellite and all terrestrial channels.

'Any licence evader caught risks a criminal conviction and a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs – and they still have to pay for a TV licence if they need one. A colour TV licence currently costs £126.50.

'In 2004/5 the revenue collected for the BBC from the licence fee was £2.9bn. The level of the licence fee is set by Government, and the value of the fines imposed, as well as their collection and disposal, is a matter for the courts. In common with fines for other offences, the money would normally be paid into the court, for onward distribution to the Treasury