KA Frequency Broadband Internet
AMD Athlon 3200
1 gb Ram
250 G HDD
256 mb ATI 9600xt
DVD Burner, etc, etc.
My Location
Western Canada
Ok, Spent the money and now i'm lost. Wondering if anyone can help me with this unit. I have downloaded everything I could from Emitor, and I guess it's just not in plain enough english for me to capishe. Any help would be appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What do you need to know?

Ranger4790

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Star Choice in Western Canada.
AMD Athlon 3200
1 gb Ram
250 G HDD
256 mb ATI 9600xt
DVD Burner, etc, etc.
My Location
Western Canada
I would like to know how I can lock onto a specific Satellite. In the KU band and/or Ka. As I work with both. Star Choice and Xplorenet Here in Canada. The Satellite is known as Anik F2 http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/bss/factsheets/702/anik_f2/anik_f2.html . I have set up a KU Band dish with an analog meter recieving an excellent 92% Picture quality through nearly all cahnnels. I then hooked up the Satlook to see if it would lock onto it, (the satellite that is). It doesn't seem to want to when I search up or down, I have followed the lame instruction that came with the unit to no avail. I know I'm doing something wrong and was wondering with your obvious knowledge of the Unit if you could guide me in the right direction. Thanks in Advance Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What type of LNB are you using and are you seeing a spectrum trace?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
http://www.lyngsat.com/anikf2.html

Everything in the Ku band of that satellite is Digicipher 2 encrypted

Unless you are viewing the satellites C Band frequencies you are not going to see much, and its not clear whether the beams reach you in W Canada

Ranger4790

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Star Choice in Western Canada.
AMD Athlon 3200
1 gb Ram
250 G HDD
256 mb ATI 9600xt
DVD Burner, etc, etc.
My Location
Western Canada
rolfw said:
What type of LNB are you using and are you seeing a spectrum trace?
The one used for Ku is a LM-2738-75SC DUAL SATELLITE QUAD OUTPUT SWITCHABLE Ku LNBF. Input Freq. 11.7-12.2 Ghz. Output Frequency is 950-1450 Mhz. As For the Ka Tria is a USM-TXR-KA01-F-01-110 Operating Voltage is 24-32V DC @ 2A. I do see a trace on the Screen.

Channel Hopper said:
Everything in the Ku band of that satellite is Digicipher 2 encrypted

Unless you are viewing the satellites C Band frequencies you are not going to see much, and its not clear whether the beams reach you in W Canada

How would I go about recieving the other two frequencies offered on the satellite? Obviously the LNB's would have the capability to read the encryption, would they not?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you are getting a trace then it shows the spectrum (and Ku LNB ) are working. It also confirms that you are within the beam, but not if this is good enough for the receiver to function and decode channels.

For KA band , again you have to check that
1) There are transmissions at the right frequency and pointing in your directions
2) You are selecting the right polarity
3) You have a receiver capable of decyphering whats on
Ka is at such a high frequency, any distortion of the dish surface, or alignment issues means you will have no signal into the feedhorn

Similarly with C band , but additionally
4) you will need a C band LNB, LO would be 5150 MHz, and
5) press 1, and then 1 again on the analyser to invert the video signal

helgansven

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Star Choice
DishNet
My Location
Southern Ontario
I just bought one of these meters as well and will be using it to install Xplornet satellite Internet.
I'm looking for instructions to setup the meter to receive signals from 111.1W in the Ka band.
I apologize for the newbie question, but the manual does not make things very clear.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can send my way.

And by the way, I like the site very much. Lots of useful info here!:D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The main setting is the LNB type as discussed above, what LNB do they use for WildBlue?

helgansven

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Star Choice
DishNet
My Location
Southern Ontario
Thanks for the reply.
The LNB is the same as the one that ranger mentioned above, the USM-TXR-KA01-F-01-110.
Also, we don't use the WildBlue modems in Canada, we use the Surf Beam. Same unit, but the Canadian version says Surf Beam instead of Wild Blue.

I played with this thing all day and I think i have made some headway. Since the LNB/TRIA on this dish will only receive Ka band, I figured that as soon as I got something on the meter screen, that would have to be it. There are only 2 sats in the south-west sky from Canada that carry Ka band so I would have a 50/50 chance.

I set the dish and scanned the sky till i got a hit on the meter. I verified on the modem that it was indeed the signal i was after. Then I saved the wave form in memory. Now all I have to do is load the saved waveform from memory and scan the sky till i get a matching waveform. How cool is that!

Then I hooked up the meter to a Star Choice dish and saved that waveform and did the same for all the different satellites I deal with on a regular basis. This is a very slick unit and I'm sure I have only touched on 10% of what it can actually do, but at least I'll be able to peak out an Xplornet dish which is what I was after in the first place.

I hope reading this helps somebody else that has the same question.