Saturn Visit

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Cassini Huygens probe starts its final leg of the journey today, with a controlled descent into the orbit of Saturn

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/SEMA7825WVD_0.html

Before the slow down, requiring reversal of the probe for the engine to fire, the main transmitting dish for Earth / probe communication is to be used as protection for the delicate instruments. The proble will be flying thorugh the 'gap ' that exists between the F and G rings of the planet.

The highest detail ever photographed of the rings should be sent back to Earth on Thursday evening, assuming that the 4m dish on the probe withstands any of the debris that might be encountered during the manouevre.

Interesting that they will be using the dish in this way.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Thanks for that CH, absolutely fascinating.

lazydave

Reaction score
My Location
Aalborg, Denmark
Very interesting, indeed! :) Looks like it takes some relatively long "exposures".

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The spacecraft is now spending time assessing the atmosphere and other features of Titan, Saturns largest moon.

Onboard is a probe that if successful, will be the first piece of metal dropped by humans onto an planet outside the asteroid belt. Systems are go for Christmas Day 2004