Scandinavian TV too expensive. £795? (TV1000)

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Why so expensive??? Is there any cheaper method than this, any cheaper way.....perhaps less channels even..... I just want TV1000 really!! :(

Via Sat (£795.00)

Via Sat Package on Sirius 5 east. This package includes a dedicated receiver (NDS) channels include TV1000 and Viasat Sports

Canal Plus Scandinavia (£575.00)

Canal Plus Scandinavian card. Please note these cards are full package cards but exclude all pay per views.

Source: _http://www.digitalsales.co.uk/official_cards.htm

:-jest:-snipe

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
For that price you also get a NDS receiver, the one your card is married to. When I subscribed to Sky, I had to buy a receiver too, even if I don't use it since the Sky card is inserted in my dreambox.
But that's an one-off investment. What's the annual subscription for Via Sat ? Is that too expensive also ?
"any cheaper way" ....... I don't think cardsharing works with NDS. Good luck anyway !

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Everything is expensive in Scandinavia. In D2mac days, many people in scandinavia had "pic" cards.

It's a pitty as The scandy package is good. TV1000 shows decent films.

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
Jipes!, makes sky prices look reasonable..... did I just say that!!!, I hope rupert aint reading he'll be bumming us for another 50 dollar :-doh!

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28E 19E on 120cm Gibertini homemade sidemount with Gibertini feedhorn, Inverto C120. 5E 1W on 85cm triax. Digiality VC-CI 204 and Triax dvb-65s receivers. Matrix-cam not working. Swedish Canaldigital "local", Norwegian Viasat.
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Well, all I can say is that the price is more than double of what it costs here... 3,887 kr year one and 4.186kr year two.
Add to that a tuner, but you get the tuner for free when signing up for 2 years. Dont know the exchange from pound to kronor right now but round 14. That makes 280pounds for first year, and that is all viasat-channels...
Someone is getting rich.
_www.viasat.se

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28E 19E on 120cm Gibertini homemade sidemount with Gibertini feedhorn, Inverto C120. 5E 1W on 85cm triax. Digiality VC-CI 204 and Triax dvb-65s receivers. Matrix-cam not working. Swedish Canaldigital "local", Norwegian Viasat.
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Personally I think canal digital is better, there you can choose the film-channels and a cheaper package.
_www.canaldigital.se
_www.canaldigital.com

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
JTA: I was hoping to use the Dreambox to view Swedish TV with an official card. Just like you do with Sky :) I wouldnt mind buying a Viasat box, I don't grudge the price, but that link I posted says you have to give the box back at the end of the year! :eek: Madness, surely.

Steffo: Thanks for the links! Do you have 'Canal Digital'? I'm not any good at Swedish language *yet*, but want to learn from 'Sverige TV'. Hope you don't mind, I've got a couple of questions: (sorry!!) :)

Can I use the 'Viasat Guld' card or 'Canal Digital' card in the Dreambox 7020 or 'Skystar 2 + usb/serial Phoenix reader' or must I have an official Swedish 'Digitalbox'?

Are 'Canal Digital' and 'Viasat Guld' both on Sirius 5E, or are they split between Sirius / Thor 1W?...

...The reason I ask that one is that I see a 'Big Brother' channel on Thor, but not on Sirius. Perhaps this is because I don't see the Nordic beam on Sirius with my 90cm dish? --- watching the people on Swedish Big Brother talking naturally with eachother would be *very* useful to my learning of the language :).

Here I've just noted down some channels to remind myself which ones I think would be good to have: TV1000, SVT, 1, 2, TV3, TV4 Film, 4+, TV4 -- very popular morning TV program on it with 'Lars' (forgot surname).

Tried ebay.se for "viasat" and "canal" but no results :( Maybe I could paypal you or someone to send a card/'card with box' from Sweden?

Dave

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Some channels are both available on Sirius as well as 1W and it would mainly be the national channels for the three Scandinavian countries. Some of the more popular channels like Discovery would also be found on both sat's.

Viasat receivers are widely available in many shops in the Nordics. Try Google, but most sites are in local languages which could be a problem for you. These receivers do not require you to take up a subscription.

Check: h**p://hifishoppen.dk/product_info.php?products_id=670

This one would set you back DDK 1,595 (aprox £145)

Check out SVT Europa which shows some really good own produced programs (best from SVT 1 and 2 as well as the 24 news channel outside normal hours) and is easy to get hold of - Strong beam from Sirius. You can also get an official subscription for about SEK 1,600 a year (£120) and uses Viaccess so you wouldn't need a new receiver but only the correct CAM. Check their web site.

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
About the satellites, I am not sure but last time I checked Viasat is only on 5E and it has NDS-encryption, you also have to "marry" your box with the card (like sky). There can be a few channels on 1W also. I know people using dreambox but problem is with number on the box and card and also the cards updating.

Canaldigital is on 1W, Conax, and easiest for you to get since the card and box is not "married" yet. Although it has been rumours about this and I have an old card. Big brother is on swedish KANAL 5 and big brother channel is of course time-limited.

Like suggested before, SVT Europa is the cheapest option, encrypted in Viacess last time I checked.

Hope this clears out some of the questions!

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Dreambox is working on both via sat and conax

Today TV1000 is selling 1 year for 168£ so get a swedish friend and ask him to take the card:)

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi, Great info lads, thank you both very much indeed!! I might have to look into that Viasat Box Cupart, still deciding which way to go. Oh I forgot to mention I already watch SVT Europa :). on Sirius 5E - 94% SNR. The dreambox does a fine job of sorting the decryption out for me. But just having 1 channel isnt so good, but none the less a very good channel.

Heres what I've thought so far..

'Canal Digital' - Thor 1W:
-----------------------------------
I was checking up to see how many of the 'Canal Digital' channels I get here in Aberdeen. I see Kanal 5 there (for Big Brother) aswell as channels actually called 'Big Brother', and 'Big Brother 2' which was nice. I also see the main Swedish channels: SVT, TV4, TV4 Film, and some other ones. I get a strong signal for these channels, around 88% SNR, or higher even for some.

It's not all good news though, I did notice a problem: I looked on Lyngsat at the 'Canal Digital' package, and I see theres NO mention of TV1000 :(. However I did see TV1000 on Thor when looking through the channels manually, but it was 'N' - Nagravision/Nagravision 2? instead of Conax. Would 'Canal Digital' include this one? Is lyngsat wrong, is there really no TV1000 Conax on Thor?

pros: don't need to buy another box...just the card, which is fine, no problem

cons: no TV1000?

'Viasat' - Sirius 5E:
--------------------------
The good news here is theres alot of channels on here that I like the look of. bad news is...No Kanal 5, Also theres No 'Big Brother' or 'Big Brother 2' channels. :( (are these Swedish Big Brother? or is that just on Kanal 5 alone?) ... But I would get TV1000, and SVT, TV4 etc.

pros: All the main channels I think, including TV1000

cons: Need to buy digitalbox. Also theres no Big Brother channels, or Kanal 5. (On the beam I can receive)

Conclusion
-----------------
So it seems the choice would have to be 'Canal Digital'. You said Canal was better Steffo, and I think I agree, and at least I wouldnt need a box for that....but on the downside I'd probably miss out on TV1000..... Unless theres some way to get the "N" one decrypted?

If not...it'll probably end up being decided on the mature content.....as always.....lol, which is best for Swedish/Nordic Amateur mature content...(not American Pro stuff, boring)? ;)

Thanks again for the advice, seems like I'm getting close to making a purchase

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
dig deep said:
Dreambox is working on both via sat and conax

Today TV1000 is selling 1 year for 168£ so get a swedish friend and ask him to take the card:)

Wow, good price, Which satellite is that for?

I can only get TV1000 (NDS/Viasat) on Sirius, and TV1000 (Nagravision) on Thor..

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Well to answer some of your questions:
Tv1000 is broadcasted by viasat and therefore is found on 5E.
Kanal 5 is broadcasted by canaldigital, 1W
I am not a fan of big brother myself but when i switched on the tv today it was there, noticed that it is half Swedish/half Norwegian... Just so you know because I know it is hard to understand Norwegian for a non-nordic. (I am 50/50 so I have no problems).
The encryption is hard to beat, and has been so for a while. I had a card before when viasat was encrypted in viacess and it worked fine but with nds there is about the chance as sky being pirated...
Most Swedish material is of course on svt and tv4. also on kanal5 and tv3 but these channels have a lot of american programming making it hard for you...
If you go for canal there is a few options, you really should try to read on the website, to sum it up:
Local 1000kr/year channel 1 2 4 5 and a few extras, basically public service.
Family 2800kr /year
canal+ you can choose to combine with local or family. With canal+ (movies, no commercials) 2800kr/year
The prices does not include 30kr/ invoice extra, depending on payment.
So with a package 2800kr + 30 kr payment 4 times gives 2920kr and 211 pounds/year
look at this page for info about the packages: w.canaldigital.se/templates/productsfront____4142.aspx
I dont know about the prices you can get but I guess there is someone in Sweden willing to switch sky for canaldigital with you. look on the forum, there is a lot of swedes and UK people living in Sweden.
We can all agree it is really a scam to charge 800Pounds for this!!!
Good luck and I hope topper is happy now, I camouflaged the link:)

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
Also if you find someone with a subscription, there is a way to get extra cards for your sub. This is the cheapest way to get it.
Just checked and the biggest package is about 2670kr/year on the second card. (canal+ and family)

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
tonguedv:

You have PM

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think the TV1000 (N) channel on Thor (1W) is for some Eastern European country, just like the TV3 channel found there...

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi again lads Sorry it's taken me so long to reply -- my ISP cut me off....I had to go all this time without internet/ebay....very difficult! It's good to be back online!

Cupart: aha, so it's by another provider, that explains it. I was confused why it was on there! :)

Steffo: hmmmmm. I'm wondering if TV1000 is really worth it. From what youve said I really should get Canal Digital. I think I should go for that first, since it's easiest. If it's no good, I can always get Viasat a year from now. ;) So I need to find a place to get a Canal Digital card. I'll look at the site to see if there's any way I can get from there.

Thanks very much for your help Steffo, you've been a great help. By the way, do you prefer Norway to Sweden?! :p hehe :)

Dave

peppey

Reaction score
if there was an english translation of canaldigital.se one might know if a subscription card can be bought directly.:confused

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sorry mate but it won't be possible to get a card from Canal Digital in The Nordics, as you need a postal address in one of the countries. I had a subscription to C+ and used this in France. They found out and cut the connection (not that it was a bigger loss).

Viasat is much much better value for money than Canal Digital, but as you all know more difficult to get hold off outside The Nordics...