Scart Connection Problems

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
I hope somebody can help on this. I have recently replaced a satellite receiver and I am now having great problems reconnecting all the scarts.
The equipment I have is :

Hitachi TV ( 2 scarts )
Panasonic digibox ( 2 scarts)
Echostar 3000ip satellite receiver ( 3 scarts - 1 not used )
Panasonic VCR ( 2 scarts)

I really would appreciate any help with this.

Many thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Unless I have had too much pop tonight logic says
Connect Panasonic digibox (AV1) and Echostar 3000ip satellite receiver (AV2)
To Panasonic VCR which then connect to
Hitachi TV
Wish I could afford to find out myself!!!!

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try.

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
No , that didn't work - would need 3 scart connections on the vcr.

Including the tv there are 4 units to connect by 4 scart leads - 2 connections on each unit. Wonder how many combinations there are before the right one will turn up !!

magnet

Reaction score
What you need to do is to connect each of the satellite boxes to the TV and to the VCR via scarts, but connect the VCR to the TV using the rf out. Don't forget to connect your antenna to the rf in on the VCR. VCR output is not up to highest quality anyway.

I'm still thinking about how this could be done with scart only.

beegee said:
No , that didn't work - would need 3 scart connections on the vcr.

Including the tv there are 4 units to connect by 4 scart leads - 2 connections on each unit. Wonder how many combinations there are before the right one will turn up !!

loftyj

Reaction score
Daughter has only one scart on TV, freeview set top box and DVD player local small electronic dealer supplied her with a 3way scart box plugs into TV switch on box to direct other scart as required, it works, tried it out here.Cost her £9 told her there is a 4 to 1 auto he could supply but as she had only the two units to connect was not worth her paying the extra £13 it would cost her,

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
Thanks for the replies

The frustrating thing is that I have had everything connected by scart and working perfectly with both sat boxes connected to VCR AV1 & AV2 as well as the TV AV1 & AV2. It was only when I had a problem with my old digibox and started swapping scart leads around to test them that the old connections were lost. I have since found out it was a digibox problem and replaced it.

One thing which may help was that on the old set up the video channel came on the TV AV1 ( as well as channel 0 on TV ) but when the digibox was switched on this took priority and overrided it.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
As well as the 2 scarts does the VCR have phono connections? These are usually on the front and can sometimes be covered by a small panel.

PaulR

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
Yes, but they have never been used before.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
beegee said:
I had a problem with my old digibox and started swapping scart leads around to test them that the old connections were lost.

Know the feeling that's why I have a small sticky label on each end of the SCARTs to let me know where they go. You can mark them A to F and duplicate that on the TV etc.

Bit late now but when you get it working.

When they only had RF output trying to get the ferquencies right - now that was difficult.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The phono connections on the VCR are another input source. The ouput scart socket will be called something like AU1, AV1 or similar. The other two will be numbered 2 and 3.

On my Sony VCR I feed the AU1 to the TV, AU2 (the other scart) has the VCR output of the Digibox connected to it and AU3 (the phonos) has the DVD connected to it (ahem!). I am fortunate that my TV has enough scart inputs to take direct connections to the Digibox and DVD player as well but I could get it to work just through the VCR if I needed to - in fact I use the VCR as an RF sender around the house for this very purpose.

Hope this helps in some way.

PaulR

sprog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 808 CI Via
Jokercam-Retired!,T-REX,
Rusty Old 80cm mesh dish on fence pole!
My Location
South Wales
beegee said:
I hope somebody can help on this. I have recently replaced a satellite receiver and I am now having great problems reconnecting all the scarts.
The equipment I have is :

Hitachi TV ( 2 scarts )
Panasonic digibox ( 2 scarts)
Echostar 3000ip satellite receiver ( 3 scarts - 1 not used )
Panasonic VCR ( 2 scarts)

I really would appreciate any help with this.

Many thanks
Try this, it seems to work for me, just looked behind TV,I think this is how my spaghetti is connected at the back!

Sat Scart[VCR AV] > VCR scart[AV2]
Sat Scart [TV AV] > TV scart [AV1]

Digi Scart [VCR AV] > VCR scart [AV1]
Digi Scart [TV AV] > TV scart [AV2]

My digi box is a pace, sat is a echostar, tv and vcr panasonic. I have to select beween AV1 and AV2 on VCR to select between sat/digi. Similarly on TV. You can record from sat or digi. The signals seem to feed through the system for me, but thats not to say it will work on all systems as some may not have full scart switching and feed through.

It look much simpler drawn out!

Good Luck!

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
Thanks, but the phono connections are on the front and not in a suitable position to connect leads to. I think I am nearly there as the only missing connection now is the digibox through AV1 on the VCR. I might just change the leads so that the receiver I cannot get is the echostar through AV2 on the VCR ( don't record often from that anyway ! )

( edit - relates to PaulR post )

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
Thanks Sprog, I'll try your set up.

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
No, didn't work. Still getting nothing through vcr av1. Everything else ok.

beegee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
windows xp
My Location
leeds
It is now fully working :) . Sprog, your set up nearly worked. Apart from a possible dodgy scart lead I have ( just discovered ) your set up had the echostar ghosting over all the other channels when switched on. All that was needed was to swap over the AV1 and AV2 scarts in the TV. This means that the digibox comes through AV1 on both the vcr and tv and the echostar likewise on AV2.

Although its working fine now I think some of the scarts need replacing with better quality ones.

Many thanks for your help and all the other replies too. :-cheers

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I was going to mention a possibility of a SCART lead coming apart inside as its happened on a number of installs where the TV has been moved.

The ghosting you see may be the Echostar has been set up for RGB output, which gives a priority signal over composite, this is probably cured by the swopping of the leads over, to a TV socket that does not have the priority system set as default.

sprog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 808 CI Via
Jokercam-Retired!,T-REX,
My Location
South Wales
beegee said:
No, didn't work. Still getting nothing through vcr av1. Everything else ok.
Did you switch TV to AV2 and VCR to AV1? Also does the Sky digi have a way of selecting TV/VCR? Try it with SKY box on and off. To make sure scart lead is ok try swopping with the direct feed from sat VCR AV to VCR AV2.

See attached file.I hope the diagram may make more sense.Its not up to Rolf Harris standards though!

sprog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 808 CI Via
Jokercam-Retired!,T-REX,
My Location
South Wales
Glad to help, I should have paid attention to later replies !!!!

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
I have a similar problem to you beegee. I have a Sky Digibox(2 scarts), a Nokia digi box (2 scarts), TV(3 scarts) and Video(2 scarts). I have seen the 'set-up' diagram as drawn up by sprog. When you require Playback from your VCR to the TV, do you have to switch off both decoders in order to see what is playing from the VCR?