Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2
Amstrad Digibox
Echostar AD3000
Manhattan ST550
My Location
UK
Thanks Llew. I found a 12v CPU fan which I've fitted in between the boards. It's just the right height to be able to be fixed in place via pressure from the case. Not sure how much air will be drawn over the CPU but there's plenty of air coming out of the vents PSU end so hopefully that will extend its life.

Cheers,

Sixoence.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes Sixoence, cooling the power supply will definitely help as the receiver ages. It's where most problems occur over time.

Still, it's a fine receiver to try to keep going, although of course showing its age a bit now...

Llew

patdiamant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
---------------3.8m C band H-H motorized dish,
Houston Tracker HTS-8+ analog positionner,
Praxis 9800-Ci,
DSR905 4Dtv, -------1.8m Ku motorized dish,
C120 Invacom Lnb,
Moteck Vbox II,
Clarke-tech 1500-----------
Clic the dish to see pictures.
My Location
Martinique
Hi Lew,

The display of my receiver was flickering (as Vlammie) caused by the first capacitor on 5V (C16). It was good on my DVM but bad in the SMPS.

I had put also a separation (cardboard) beetween the boards, with the fan in the middle , and added a small resistor to slow the fan a little: so it is less noisy and send less dust.

Hopping this can help.
Thanks again for this thread.
Pierre

jdfp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar ad3000ip
pace hd
My Location
Worcestershire
Hi, I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I don't get things quite right.

I was looking for a circuit diagram which I found, thanks very much.

My receiver display was out and so I reset the RCD, through which some kit is fed, at which point all that happened was a loud bang and the internal fuse blew, replaced the fuse but it blew again. I am guessing that Z1 or one of the capacitors has gone short circuit. Before I go delving in, has this happened to anybody else?

TIA David

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
As the fuse blew quickly, a visual check in the vicinity of the capacitors across the mains supply should be the first thing to do, also the C10 and C11 electrolytics and bridge rectifier for burns etc.

If no obvious signs of damage, then afraid it's a case of methodically checking these components for shorts.

BTW welcome to the forum :)

Llew

jdfp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar ad3000ip
pace hd
My Location
Worcestershire
Thanks for your reply Llew.

Further investigation has revealed that there is no direct short on the mains input side of the board. However I have found the reason for the loud bang, IC1 KA1HO565 has exploded, blowing off part of the casing!

I fear that the component is not as robust as Fairchild's data and application sheets claim it to be!

I can find no source for the component and so it looks like I have a dead Echostar.

David

vlammie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ad-300IP
My Location
NL
Hi David

I have ordered some KA1H0565R for a reasonable price online in the US. Goto _www.bluestar-online.com

However.... I thought this IC was broken in my SMPS, but it turned out that other components were defect. I would recommend to check other components also, before replacing IC1 and powering up again.

Good luck :)

Vlammie

jdfp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar ad3000ip
pace hd
My Location
Worcestershire
Hi Vlammie,

Thanks for the info on the website. I have done a bit more checking and it is not surprising the smps controller chip went bang, I have removed the bridge rectifier as two "arms" of it have gone short circuit. I have ascertained that it is a 600V 6A device. I can see no short across where the output of it connects on the board and so am at a bit of a loss as to why it decided to fail. C10 and C11 "appear" to have survived, but. I will check on a bit further before ordering any replacement parts.

David

vlammie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ad-300IP
My Location
NL
jdfp said:
C10 and C11 "appear" to have survived, but. I will check on a bit further before ordering any replacement parts.

Most suspicious are of course C10 and C11. Use a good measuring device to measure capacitance and/or equivalent series resistance (ESR). Also TR1 could be the cause of your problems. All devices I have seen have a hotspot around R3. Isn't that spot may be the starting point of your problems'O'?

Good luck.

Vlammie

Juliancin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A un no tengo
My Location
Reynosa, Tamps. Mexico
Muchisimas Gracias amigo Llew, siempre ha sido uno de los grandes anhelos del hombre comunicarse a travez de la distancia y el espacio, por ello, con el aporte que has hecho de este valioso diagrama va a servir para alcanzar esa meta que todos deseamos.
Que tengas mucho exito en todos tus proyectos y que Dios te bendiga.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gracias Juliancin. Por favor, solamente respuesta en inglés aquí.
Llew

Cager

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD300IP+Pace MSS508IP Various Linux and M-S computers
My Location
Norfolk UK
Hi Llew. Your circuits and parts list dowloaded with thanks. I can now check if the PSU is causing the problems with my AD3000IP It seems to have a very high threshold for acknoledging that a transponder exists but if I warm the board with a hair dryer I can get channels which it previously couldn't see. I thought I had isolated this to CE921 near the connectors as I could turn some channels on/off by warming and cooling it. Unfortunately replacing this 100uF capacitor with a new one did not cure the problem. For the moment I have strapped it to the nearby PSU heatsink which improves the situation but is still not a total cure. Also the analogue channels are missing until I warm up another area of the board. Have you heard of any similar occurances and do you know of any sources of circuits for the main board?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Most problems that occur with the Echostar are caused by faults in the PSU. If you have a multimeter, check the voltages to the mainboard at the connector at switch-on and normal running temperature, noticing any that might be dropping down from normal.

If there is, check against the schematic, as it's fairly certain that it will be one of the electrolytics in the PSU associated with that supply line.

AFAIK there's no published diagrams for the mainboard circuit, any problems I've come across have had to be checked out by circuit tracing ( mostly the LNB voltage switching circuits and audio/video switching outputs to the scarts.

Llew

voltage.

Cager

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD300IP+Pace MSS508IP Various Linux and M-S computers
My Location
Norfolk UK
Once again Llew thanks for your efforts. With the aid of the circuit I established that the 21,30 and 5Volt supplies were OK but the 12V was down to 8.2 and the 8V down to 5.5. Since the feedback to the primary side was obviously working OK I changed the reservoir capacitors C24 and C18 on the two faulty supplies and all came good. I also changed the smoothing caps also. I think a session changing all the other Electrolytics might be a good idea. R17 had also changed to 1K5 and I changed this as well. All the other funnies have gone and the reciever is working as well as ever. It hasn't been swiched off for over eight years so it hasn't done badly!

Cheers and Happy Christmas Cager

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well done Cager. If in doubt, invariably it's a PSU problem :eek:

Llew

justone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AD3000IP, 2* IPBox 250S PVR, Kathrein 90 dish with 2*Quattro LNBs, dBox1, a couple of PC TV cards
My Location
Germany
Well, where to start, just joined this forum, mainly because my AD3000IP is dead and googling was telling me it's worth having a look in here.

When I keep it from the mains, and plug in in, one of the relays starts clicking for lets say 20 seconds, rubbish on the display, and then the relay stops, but apart from the rubbish on the display, nothing happens.
I'm currently in the process reading all this, and I'm pretty happy with the shematics. Damn good.
I'm also somewhat skilled with a soldering iron, ya know you have to take it with your hand at the smallest diameter since then you won't need to hold it for that long. ;-)
Well, not too deep into electronics but I'd say enough to replace components if only I'd knew which ones.
Thus, if anybody could think what might cause the above mentioned symthoms I'd be glad. Or perhaps a hint on what to check first.

And if you ask me I really hate all these manufacturers supplying PSU boards being the worst of the whole lot. I recently suffered the very same problem with a KiSS Dvd Player, but was lucky they sent me a new PSU PCB for small money. Something Echostar seems to be not able to.

hope some's out there with a helping hand,
in case not ...ya know it's x-mas now ....

justone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AD3000IP, 2* IPBox 250S PVR, Kathrein 90 dish with 2*Quattro LNBs, dBox1, a couple of PC TV cards
My Location
Germany
Hmm were to start ? Just joined this forum since google brought me here.

My AD3000IP is dead ;-(
When connecting it to the mains, one of relays start clicking, for lets say 20 seconds then it stops, rubbish on the display, that's it.

Now since I read most of it here, and looked at the shematics, I would surely simply start replacing all of the components, but it's surely the wrong way to get it fixed.

Thus, anyone with an idea what might cause that problem ?

Unfortunately Echostar isn't able to help. Strange. Last year I had a similar problem with a KiSS DVD Player, and they were able to send me a new PSU PCB for small money.

Since I don't want to bin my AD3000IP, please throw in suggestions what I could check first.

thanks in advance ... and a merry x-mas

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
justone said:
Well, where to start, just joined this forum, mainly because my AD3000IP is dead and googling was telling me it's worth having a look in here.

When I keep it from the mains, and plug in in, one of the relays starts clicking for lets say 20 seconds, rubbish on the display, and then the relay stops, but apart from the rubbish on the display, nothing happens.
I'm currently in the process reading all this, and I'm pretty happy with the shematics. Damn good.
I'm also somewhat skilled with a soldering iron, ya know you have to take it with your hand at the smallest diameter since then you won't need to hold it for that long. ;-)
Well, not too deep into electronics but I'd say enough to replace components if only I'd knew which ones.
Thus, if anybody could think what might cause the above mentioned symthoms I'd be glad. Or perhaps a hint on what to check first.

And if you ask me I really hate all these manufacturers supplying PSU boards being the worst of the whole lot. I recently suffered the very same problem with a KiSS Dvd Player, but was lucky they sent me a new PSU PCB for small money. Something Echostar seems to be not able to.

hope some's out there with a helping hand,
in case not ...ya know it's x-mas now ....

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

As there is some sign of life re a display of sorts (the primary side is firing up) you will be looking at the voltage readings on the secondary side connector CN2.

Check with a multimeter each voltage. 5VS first, 30V, then the rest. Any deviation below stated voltages will usually be duff electrolytics in the voltage line(s) concerned.

Llew

justone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Wow, pretty fast answer (even while xmas time)

Ok did as suggested, with an ordinary multimeter, but it turned out to be tricky task. Since, when pluggin in the unit, relais start clickering and voltages change per click. Thus, plug off ... wait until capacitors cleared and re-plugin the whole lot. And 1 out of 20 attempts, the relais seems to remain in a state where the outputs at CN2 have power.
What I detected was the following:
SKEW=5
M-P=4
WEST=5
EAST=5
5VS=5.1
PCS=4.3
30V=37,3
21V=24,9
G=GND
12V=11,8
G=GND
5VD=5,1
5VD=5,1
9V=8,8
G=GND

Values differ on the 21V and 30V line by let's say -2/+5 V when trying differnt times.
One times the machine even fired up until the display did show a channelnumber. Relais did click 1 times which is normal when being connected to the mains.

Besides, I studied your nice DaVinci attempt (great work) with all the comments and the list of items. From scratch, I would simply buy them all in case that helps getting the Echostar going again, but I'm really lost with electronics. I could surely buy them, solder them in the correct way(orientation) but I can't simply guess what's wrong.

Just in case it matters, none of the electrolyts are exploded or such like. And I also got the usual 2 hotspots at R3/R17

Lost again ... anything else I could check next ? A and no I got nothing besides a multimeter and a soldering iron.