Sci Fi writer George Clayton Johnson - RIP

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Probably known best for Logan's Run, however he also penned the first episode of Star Trek - The Man Trap, involving shape-shifting girlfriends and salt depleted victims.

He also wrote some early Twilight Zone stories, Nothing in the Dark is probably my favourite, plus Oceans 11/12/13 etc.

A

Archive4

Sorry to hear that. I have watched Logan´s Run quite a few times over the decades, not a bad film at all. Was not aware of the " Oceans " connection, but never watched any of those.
Don´t like to question forum Gods, but I thought the original Star Trek pilot was the Cage, without James T, but did include Spock. Commander page comes to mind as senior on the Enterprise. I thought the salt cubes came later, but being that long ago I could be very wrong.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Don´t like to question forum Gods, but I thought the original Star Trek pilot was the Cage, without James T, but did include Spock. Commander page comes to mind as senior on the Enterprise. I thought the salt cubes came later, but being that long ago I could be very wrong.

George Clayton Johnson - IMDb

Don't tell him Pike !

Salt cubes was another episode, where the water was removed. Omega Glory ?

Crystals.jpg

A

Archive4

Guess we´re both kinda right then. It was Pike, don´t tell Captain Mainwaring!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The Man Trap victims had minerals removed leaving the water. The Omega Glory - if that was what it was called - was quite the opposite. Still both were grisly deaths, not only redcoats either.

A

Archive4

The Man Trap victims had minerals removed leaving the water. The Omega Glory - if that was what it was called - was quite the opposite. Still both were grisly deaths, not only redcoats either.
No, not only security detail, which was almost fatal in early episodes. And if I´m correct Captain Pike returned as Commander Pick in the episode when Spock violated orders and they ended up returning him to the " Bum Heads " so he could live the rest of his live believing he was " whole " again, instead of looking like an early version of Stavros from Dr Who

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
RIP George, I cannot purport to knowing of your name only of some of your achievements but it is sad all the same

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Don´t like to question forum Gods, but I thought the original Star Trek pilot was the Cage, without James T, but did include Spock.

"The Cage" was the first pilot, and "Where no man has gone before" (where Kirk & co. leave the galaxy and end up with two crewmen with godlike powers) was the second pilot (but was incorporated as a regular episode after the first production ones were made causing a bit of a continuity error with the uniforms and set dressings being wrong), and "The Man Trap" was the first production episode, and if it wasn't for Lucille Ball seeing more than the TV execs did, Star Trek would have never made it past the first pilot... :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Indeed, Start Trek is I think unique in being granted two pilot episodes. Very confusing for continuity especially when The Cage was later incorporated into the regular continuity with slightly different spin on the end result.

Sad, indeed, to hear of George's passing. RIP.