Screwfix – quick at dispatching orders I never placed, and hopefully never paid for.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Got an email late in the afternoon from Screwfix Direct saying that the order I placed with them earlier today had been dispatched, but I didn’t order anything.

The total of the order was just under £50, quite alarming. But I don’t think I have ever ordered with them from that email address, just filled in my postal details to get a catalogue, so can’t see how any card details would be stored with them. The email also gave me the postal address of the order, mine.

I phoned them up to tell them about it, the guy I talked to didn’t seem in the least surprised, "could be someone ordered it with your account number by mistake" was his reasoning. I asked how the order had been paid for "by card, but I can’t see any of the details" he reassured me that whoever paid for the order would be refunded in full, which I didn’t find very reassuring as someone had ordered it in the first place .

It’s just chance I still check the email address Screwfix is registered to regularly, or the first thing I would have known about it would be when £50 worth of stuff turned up tomorrow, which would have been interesting.

I would have thought that they would have been slightly more concerned about what looks like a possibly security flaw, unless this sort of thing happens all the time. Going to be a bit more careful now about letting sites keep my card details, Screwfix hadn’t, but if they had I would be more concerned and less amused than I am now.