Seatel Coastal 24, not locking to Astra 28E

RabRS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
It's a Ship. Seatel coastal 24.
My Location
Out to sea
Right then. I need some help. I'd like to start by saying, I have ZERO knowledge or experience in fitting or setting up Sat TV.

I am currently on my ship, in Dordrecht, Holland. We have a satellite TV system on board, which is a Seatel Coastal 24.

=http://www.selexmarine.com/products/seatel/tvatsea.htm

Now, when it was fitted in a really shit Chinese shipyard, it did not work. So, when our last charter started, they paid a dutch fella to come and commission it so they could get dutch TV. So, they bought a dutch PPV sat receiver, and ran a cable down to their shack. Boom. All was well. Our system locked onto the Astra 19.2E Satellite and we got a few news channels. Now, the charter is done and they have taken the box and gone. So, I am trying to change the dish to Astra 28.2E. Now, this is where it all falls down. I cannot, for some reason, get a lock on 28..... It still locks onto 19, but when I use the presets to get it onto 28 it just constantly searches. For a few minutes about halfway into the search cycle, it'll give me full strength signal, with 99% quality and I can tune the boxes into BBC1 and ITV and so on. However, it won't stay put. The dish keeps on searching.... No NID value comes up, unlike the 19.2 preset, which comes up with NID 0085. When on the 28E it remains at 0000.....

The settings for the dish to 28 are

Preset - Astra 28E
Threshold :- 161
Name :- Astra28E
Position :- 028.0E
Freq :- 1198
ALT Freq :- 0000
Baud :- 27500
FEC :- 2/3
Network ID :- 0020

Now, does that look ok to you?

Cheers for anyone that can get me match of the day!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Frequency looks very wrong. Double check this. And what's the polarization?

RabRS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Out to sea
Captain Jack said:
Frequency looks very wrong. Double check this. And what's the polarization?

Where can I find out which frequency it should be looking for?

Polarisation is -10.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try changing the IF (Freq:- 1198) to 1141 and Baud from 27500 to 22000, then FEC to 5/6. Polarisation 80

Providing your LNB on the dish is a universal, that should find a channel for it to lock onto.

RabRS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Out to sea
rolfw said:
Try changing the IF (Freq:- 1198) to 1141 and Baud from 27500 to 22000, then FEC to 5/6.

Providingh your LNB on the dish is a universal, that should find a channel for it to lock onto.

Ok, I will try that and see if it locks. Many thanks!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also look to see if there is an LNB LO (local oscillator) setting and tell us what it is, plus whether there is a 22khz tone setting.

If you can't find the other settings, try Freq:- 1217 - 27500 - 2/3

RabRS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Out to sea
rolfw said:
Also look to see if there is an LNB LO (local oscillator) setting and tell us what it is, plus whether there is a 22khz tone setting.

Hi mate, no LO setting and the 22khz tone setting is in the receivers which are separate.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, so try my other settings in post above, just added them.

The unit operates by trying to lock into a frequency, when it finds a signal it'll fine tune, but the Frequency originally set is now an HD transponder which it probably can't see.

RabRS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Out to sea
rolfw said:
Yes, so try my other settings in post above, just added them.

The unit operates by trying to lock into a frequency, when it finds a signal it'll fine tune, but the Frequency originally set is now an HD transponder which it probably can't see.

Ahhh!! Right. I will try that. Thanks for your help!

RabRS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Out to sea
Hi, tried all the settings above and still can't get it to lock. Can get a picture on BBC1, which I managed to tune one of the receivers to, but only for about 60 seconds before the dish moves on in it's scan.:-ohcrap

Anything else I can try?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, try also changing the NID to 0002

Been browsing through the setup PDF _http://www.cobham.com/media/71147/124769_A.pdf, but it doesn't mention LO or other settings for the Tracking receiver which there must be, as it needs to distinguish between horizontal and vertical polarisation and high and low band, plus to make sense of the entered frequency which is the Intermediate Frequency, we must know the Local Oscillator frequency set in the tracker, as the IF is arrived at by subtracting the LO frequency from the transmission frequency.

Failing that, there is a UK phone number on the bottom of the PDF.

RabRS

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Out to sea
Managed to get it sorted.

Settings used were

Freq - 1236
Baud - 27500
FEC - Auto

Immediately locked when I pressed 'save'

Cheers for all the help!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well done, tracker must be locked into Horizontal High band.