Secca 2 (the return)

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
with secca 2 being released in april is that the end of the line
for our didgy box`s.is it going the way of murdocks Co,((hacked but kept hush hush) to stop the need to keep changing of encryption methods.Secca 2 on sat has had a bashing for a while is it cracked
or are a lot of S T box`s gonna b 4 sale.

C

CodeComplete

Seca 2 is being adopted by a few satellite companies. ITV has not yet issued any statements that they are going to do the same and they would have to be sending out new cards now ready for such a cut over...

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
From News Site-

>>

We can confirm that ITV Digital, besides trying to sort out there financial problems, are to tackle their rampant piracy with the release of new Seca II smartcards in April. It is believed that the broadcaster will then switch to the new cards in May. With the new Pace £99 FTA receiver going on sale on the 30th of March, with Seca embedded, ITV Digital will be hoping that the new cards will increase revenues (with pirate viewers being forced to subscribe).
ITV Digital have also announced plans to download new software into their STBs which will enable information and data to be sent to and from the box by the broadcaster.
The ‘return path’ will allow interactive advertising, voting and other interactive television services and will enable ITV Digital to generate revenues from interactive activities. No date has been set for the roll out of this software.

<<

C

CodeComplete

Where's that from ? Wouldn't ITV themselves be plastering this all over the media to stop the rumours of their demise and to appease the share-holders ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The major shareholders probably already know, as this would be a reasonably large investment and would have been planned for some time.

What I would find more interesting would be the spec of the embedded CAM in the Pace box and whether it differs from the present ITV Digital version. The new proposed interactivity and the possibility for a mandatory phone connection doesn't bode well for the home card production market. You can bet your bottom dollar that there's a queue of people waiting to buy the new box, with gold cards and programmers at the ready. They may well end up being disappointed.

Rolf

C

CodeComplete

I assumed that the Pace box had a CAM slot and that you'd have to buy the CAM separately like the TVs...

I saw that you said that you have one on order - you gonna pull it to pieces when it turns up and then tell us how to get it working with goldies ;)

TB

Reaction score
Well if ITV says its relising new software soon, I'm sure hindsight tells us we got at least 18 months left with the goldies!!

Also ITV dont know I got their boxes, so how can they make me plug my phone in!! What if you havnt got a phone!!

I suppose from an ITV point of view, they should keep this info hush hush so that as Rolf says the que of people who want the new boxes will go and buy them only to find out no good for goldies, they may then think what the hell we may aswell subscribe now we've got it!!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ CodeComplete, Yes I guess that the cover will be off fairly quickly so I will obviously report on what I find. I, like you, assumed that the CAM would be supplimentary, but that was purely assumption with the lack of hard information available.

@ TB, Agreed, there's not much they can do if they don't know where the box is, but it may be that, like Sky intend, they will make any card activation available through the modem only, unless with special authorisation. This would of course prevent new scammers from getting MKs for auto update cards.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
And of course a reasonably large percentage of the new funding will go to indentifying the sites that publish codes and these shut down with the laws that prevail.

C

CodeComplete

@Channel Hopper: My understanding is that hexes and codes aren't illegal. It is when you burn them to a card that you are now in possesion of an illegal decryption device - regardless of whether you use or not. However, they can try to get sites closed on account of conspiracy to commit fraud.

@Rolf: Maybe the modem will be used in the new phonecard style payment plan ? They have to record what you've watched and decrease your credits somehow. Wonder how far they'll take the STB update route before they have to junk the current devices and bring out new ones...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dear Codecomplete

Sometime ago, Satdudez had a letter claiming to be from the On Digital Antipiracy Dept, and in it were a list of UK and European Laws that were infringed by the very nature of having the information to hand.

Offences caused by burning data onto a card would be neatly sidestepped by the use of an emulator, use of an emulator could be an offence by pushing something other than a legal subscriber card into the box. Data itself was conspiracy to defraud by the Computer Misuse Act etc etc.

This all dealt with the illegal use of a rented unit, ie ITVD boxes however Im sure that through some link to another obscure Act in the Justice manual one will find a similar connection to apply to the Sky system.

Many websites disappear and reappear through something other then simply a moderator hitting the wrong button.

The legal bods in the main broadasters have an unconfirmed budget and they have their job only as long as they get results, ie less 'piracy'. Treaty of Rome, Wipo or not, your not supposed to watch their progamming unless youve paid the Jews

TB

Reaction score
But the websites with the information on, surely this is freedom of speech and information. Agather Christy novels show me how 2 murder someone, but the legal bods, dont ban here books, only if I commit the murder have I broken the law!!

C

CodeComplete

Use of emulation software would be deemed a decryption device and so be illegal. Does raise the point though that if you had a hex and some emulation software stored on your PC - whether in use or not - then you would fall under the conspiracy to commit fraud category again. But who stores hexes on their own PC ? That's what removal drives are for...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Apologies to all Hebrews

The word association software on the office PC converted the last line in my post from the word dues (its now been turned off and relegated to the recycle bin)

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
An interesting artical from the news section of this site:
http://www.boxcracker.to/portal/

Details for ITV Digital's Seca 2 rollout have this week been announced! According to an official press release, the digital terrestrial provider will issue its new Seca 2 viewing cards throughout April, and will then switch-over to Seca 2 encryption in early May. The news will undoubtedly come as a shock to the many thousands of unofficial ITV Digital viewers who will lose access to the service once the new Seca 2 encryption system is introduced. ITV Digital, on the other hand, must surely be hoping that its introduction of Seca 2 will force a high percentage of unofficial viewers to take out paid-for access, bringing a much needed cash-injection to what believe is a company on the brink of closure.

Has anyone any more info on this??

Pixey

TB

Reaction score
I dont know if this question has been asked before, if so I'm sure someone will point it out. Anyway, if and when seca 2 appears, can real cards with subscriptions be cloned, for use in other digi boxes? A kinda buy 1 get 1 (or perhaps many) free deal!!

A

Adiohead

I've been reading through this topic and you guys are scaring me.
I recently started my hobby with *** Digital and I'm worried how long I can watch my unsubscribed channels.

I own a subsciption but have been programming since November.
Is this gonna be this year, 2002 that the new secca 2 compatible cards will be issued. I've heard nothing from my subscriber?

Or is this gonna be next year and give us all another year of a few free channels?
Also, how will our current boxes cope? will they need to be replaced or is it all in the new cards?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would write to ITV and tell them of your concern Adiohead, perhaps they'll delay launching the new card if they realise how much it may upset you. :) :)

But seriously, the only thing that has been announced,is for viewers to expect a new card by the end of the year. It is sure to work with existing boxes, as I don't believe that there would be enough money in the kitty to replace them.

Rolf

J

jobdone

Shame they can't replace the boxes cos from what I've seen they're all pants! When I first got mine I didn't expect it to crash or be so slooowww .

A

Adiohead

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 14-Mar-02 AT 07:19 PM (GMT)]My first box had to be replaced due to it crashing all the time.

The newer one isn't much better but then our sky box crashes quite a lot too.

I'm still a little confused though, as they are only changing the cards, surely it won't spoil our fun? or will it?