Second TV

kazzi

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cumbria
Hi

I have recently purchased a "Commtel" TV Plus (similar to Skys TV Link). I have followed the setup instructions and it all works fine on the second tv it is attached to - i can view all channels and the sky controls work okay. The problem is the original tv that the sky is connected directly to. If I have the TV Plus connected to the second tv I cannot operate the sky on the original tv. If I disconnect the TC Plus the original tv works again!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Haven't seen that type of TV link Kazzi, but I would guess that it works in the same way as the others. Have you tried covering the remote unit and trying to operate the Digibox at source, sounds like the remote eye may be sending a blocking sifgnal of some sort.

O

Old Fred

Just humour me because I'm not sure I understand all this about TVs.

Are you trying to say that the remote control won't operate the TV downstairs or that it won't operate the Digibox directly if the "Commtel" device is connected to it?

So maybe you've used crappy cable which is picking up interference. Does the remote work the Digibox directly if the cable is connected to the 2nd TV without the "Commtel" device? If it doesn't, then it's a cable problem.

I'm always wary about these cheap "magic eyes". The original Global "TV Link" had a reputation for being unreliable. My "DigiLink" has been fine and I know people who've bought "SLXlinks" and they were fine, too. But if you go for a cheap no-name brand (sorry) then you might just get what you pay for.

Fred

kazzi

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Cumbria
Hi Fred

The cable going to the second tv was actually installed by the people who installed my original sky box and is a good quality cable which has worked fine for months giving a good quality picture.

The Commtel TV Plus was not particularly cheap - it was bought as a pack with a new set of Sky controls for £29.99 - which seems to be an average price going on what other people have paid. It was actually the new controls I wanted because the number one button on my original ones has broken. Although I can receive the sky channel okay on my second tv without the TV Plus I thought it would be nice to be able to change the cannels as well.

Unfortunately when the TV Plus is connected I can change the sky channels through the Commtel TV Plus on the second TV okay but I can no longer control the digibox from anywhere else! I also have a Phillips wireless connection to another room which works perfectly. (I would have bought a second receiver for this but have not been able to find anywhere which sells the receivers on their own and the set is £100 - bit of a waste when I already have the transmitter). Anyway, if the Commtel TV Plus is connected the Phillips connection will not work either - the only thing that can change the sky channel is the Commtel TV Plus).

I have tried the Commtel TV Plus without the Phillips being connected to see if they were interfereing with each other but I still get the same result.

I would be very grateful for any help anyone can offer.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The only conclusion I can draw from your details Kazzi is that the remote eye is malfunctioning and is sending a blocking signal of some sort to the digibox. You can buy a new unit for less than £10 if you shop around, so might be an idea doing that. If you have a friend with a similar setup, why not try borrowing his remote eye, you can then also rule out a problem with the box.

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Why buy a new unit ? Surely, if its relatively new, its still under guarantee! Get it swapped over. If its still causing the same problem demand your money back as it does not do what its supposed to.

Methos.