SelfSat H10D

NorthernerFR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none for the moment
My Location
France
Hello all, I'm a complete newbie to this, and am trying to get some information before I go spending money all over the place... I'm living in the north of France and would like to get freesat. After looking a bit on the net, I came across the selfsat H10D dish that really caught my eye (obviously, seeing that it doesn't look too big and ugly). A local installer told me these dishes don't work too well over here, and tend to lose their signal when it rains. I wanted to know whether anyone has/had any experience with this dish, esp. in France, and can tell me whether it'll be a waste to buy one of these. Any constructive response would be welcome :)

Off topic-
I would also like to know whether it'll be possible to buy one of the Bush BFSAT01SD freesat receiver in England, where it costs half the price, and use it here in France.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
NorthernerFR said:
Off topic-
I would also like to know whether it'll be possible to buy one of the Bush BFSAT01SD freesat receiver in England, where it costs half the price, and use it here in France.

Yes, it would work fine, assuming that you have sufficient signal on all required frequencies.

If the local installer says the selfsat dish doesn't work too well, i would take his word for it, as he should know.

robbo:)

NorthernerFR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none for the moment
My Location
France
Hey Robbo
Thank you very much for the prompt reply!

Just to clarify, the only reason why I wasn't too sure about the local installer advice was the way he was trying to sell me another dish. But then again, it might have just been a language barrier thingy...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
At the end of the day the installer has to make a living and if he has confidence using a particular dish to receive Freesat I can understand him being doubtful about doing an installation with something he has never seen or heard of before which may not give the desired results causing endless return visits which affect any small profit he may have made to begin with. Unless you are prepared to do the whole job yourself I would stick with his recommendations.

NorthernerFR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none for the moment
My Location
France
Fair enough- that makes sense.
If I chose eventually to go with the selfsat though, I'll come back to share my experience, for future readers :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
NorthernerFR said:
Fair enough- that makes sense.
If I chose eventually to go with the selfsat though, I'll come back to share my experience, for future readers :)

Yes, please do.:)

I have not seen awfully many posts describing the performane of these 'dishes'. (I have seen none:-rofl2)

NorthernerFR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none for the moment
My Location
France
Since we're on the issue- the only feedback I found on this dish was from a guy living in Switzerland- Here _http://www.englishforum.ch/tv-internet-telephone/10826-satellite-dish-isnt-3.html#post232246.
Which doesn't really tell me much about how will it function in north north France. Though it does make sense that you can get a good signal as long as there's no rain.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depends where you are in Northern France, but I have installed a couple of standard minidishes around Paris and they have no problems with signal.

Perhaps might be an idea to look at the Arcon Multi 55 cm, there is a twin LNB versuion and it certainly punches above its weight, these run in at around £170 _http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/acatalog/multi_57_pm_Satellite_Dish.html, the single LNB version is around £150. Perhaps the Kathrein Mobisat might be an option _http://www.digicams-uk.com/prod244.htm.

NorthernerFR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none for the moment
My Location
France
Hey rolfw,
Well, since I'm based in Lille, it shouldn't have any major problems if it worked out for you in Paris. I suppose.
I had a quick look at the kathrein mobisat, but couldn't find out whether it can get the astra 2d. Also, these are not that frequent in France. How can you tell the difference between these dishes? In other words, how can I know which dish would be the best choice?

Anyway, I would also call other installers and DIY shops and ask for their advice for flat plate dishes.