serial lead length

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
not sure if i'm in the right forum, but here goes, is there much of a restriction on the lenght of a serial cable that could be used to flash a receiver - i think they can be pretty long but not sure. my concern is if its slightly too long, there'd be a chance of trashing a receiver if the connection was a bit ropey. your views and practical experiences welcome...

cts

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
closetosoton said:
not sure if i'm in the right forum, but here goes, is there much of a restriction on the lenght of a serial cable that could be used to flash a receiver - i think they can be pretty long but not sure. my concern is if its slightly too long, there'd be a chance of trashing a receiver if the connection was a bit ropey. your views and practical experiences welcome...

cts
I understand lead lengths of up to 10M will not compromise switching levels.

Correct driver levels of -5 to -15V (logic 1) and +5 to +15V (logic 0) should ensure adequate transmission of signals over this distance without any problem.

(Having said that, at work we once ran a 100M RS232 cable between modems satisfactorily.)

Llew

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
Llew said:
Correct driver levels of -5 to -15V (logic 1) and +5 to +15V (logic 0) should ensure adequate transmission of signals over this distance without any problem.

Just to say, I made my own 15m cable up after being quoted £40+ for a 15M lead, you can buy a receiver for that kind of money! I flashed my receiver with the lead and all works fine. No more unplugging the box to mate it to the PC.

-cts

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
closetosoton said:
Just to say, I made my own 15m cable up after being quoted £40+ for a 15M lead, you can buy a receiver for that kind of money! I flashed my receiver with the lead and all works fine. No more unplugging the box to mate it to the PC.

-cts

I have been using a 10m home made serial for the season int with no problem. Also sometimes attach a 2m null modem at the end to make a long null modem for the dreambox, also with no problem.