set top recorder

lsd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ouralis evo3
My Location
uk
hello I was wondering if the set top recorders are able to record from a satellite dish. I'm looking for a recorder and i have seen the straight dvd recorders with and without a hard disk and was wondering which will work with a satellite dish. I want to be able to program to record a show. thanks!!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
lsd said:
hello I was wondering if the set top recorders are able to record from a satellite dish. I'm looking for a recorder and i have seen the straight dvd recorders with and without a hard disk and was wondering which will work with a satellite dish. I want to be able to program to record a show. thanks!!

I am not sure about what you call set top recorders.
There are DVD recorders with HDD and DVD recorders without HDD.
Both are suitable to record from a satellite dish, if you connrct the SCART output or the three RCA connectors (Video, Audio Left, Audio Right) to one of the inputs.
With HDD you can have very long timed recordings while with the ones w/o HDD you are limited to the storage capacity of the DVD media (standard 2 hours, but some recorders can let you record up to 8 hours, but with a lower quality).
My recommendation is one with HDD, like Pioneer models which has a fantastic editting software which enables you to trim the begining, the end and any commercials in between.
Programming is as easy as with a VCR.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
A couple of months ago I purchased a Wharfedale DVDR24HD160F + HDMI output and with that unit you can select recording either freeview channels recording scart input or record from RCA connectors, but for sure there is no way to trigger a recording from the sat signal in a freeview recorder. For £79.99 I felt it was a bargain and although I have had a couple of lockups I am generally satisfied with my buy

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
The Guide Plus feature that came with my Pioneer DVR will let you programme the recordings using EPG.
The unit comes with a device that communicates with the satellite receiver (via IR).
I have attached the chapter from the user guide that deals with this.

lsd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ouralis evo3
My Location
uk
thanks for your answers, I was a little confused with what to buy and at a few shops the guys didn't really know. I'll be looking into one with a hard disk, I'm interested more into recording to view at a later time not onto a disk. Thats why I asked if the freeview recorders would record sat tv because they don't use dvd. will this work Wharfedale LP160DTR for what I want?