Set up Vendee coast, France, help please

alanbl5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tried to set up in vendee coast, no success
My Location
Jard sur mer, Vendee coast, france
I bought a hd freeview sat receiver form Maplin, as they said it would work in France, but tried to set it up, using a sat finder meter, but could not get anything ! Sat must have been on holiday. I used a compass, to roughly set the angle at SE 28 degrees, then moved the dish up and down, no alteration in sat meter, tried altering side to side, but nothing either way ! Looked at tv picture , but nothing at all, whilst adjusting dish.
Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, or can you not pick up the astra sat in that region, for british tv channels, or is there another system I can buy that will work in Jard sur Mer, vendee coast, France please ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What sized dish are you using?

You should be able to pick up all of the channels with a 60cm dish, but you need to align the dish very accurately, most newbies also point the dish too high, your dish will probably have an offset of 23 degrees or so, so the dish face for that satellite will only be about 10 degrees off vertical.

If you are getting no movement on the meter needle, you need to adjust the attenuation up or down and see if there is movement when you put your hand over the LNB, it should produce a blip.

Check you connections http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/694091-post14.html , as if they aren't made properly, the setup won't work.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
alanbl5 said:
I used a compass, to roughly set the angle at SE 28 degrees, then moved the dish up and down, no alteration in sat meter, tried altering side to side, but nothing either way ! Looked at tv picture , but nothing at all, whilst adjusting dish.

I find a scanning motion works better. Start with the elevation set correctly, then slowly swing the dish from one side to the other. Repeat for different elevations until you find it.

:)

stocksie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 2110
Technomate 5200D
Porty 2 S Crest SL65
1m H-H Lidl 80cm on TM2200
Lidl 40cm on Omnisat.
My Location
Plymouth UK
Had no trouble finding Astra2 from JSM when we visit for "hols".
Check there are no obstructions at 30 degrees elevation and use 160 degrees
magnetic. Keep the compass away from metal e.g. car or dish as it can be
"pulled". Make sure your receiver is set to a "live" channel. Shift the dish
gently and slowly- give the receiver time to lock on.