SETI - Best place for it

Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
"If we had one part in 200 - half a percent of the money that goes into astronomy at the moment - we could make an amazing difference. We would become comparable with the American effort," the University of St Andrews researcher told BBC News.

"I don't know whether....

Stop right there

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23202054

2cvbloke

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
The SETI@home thing is quite a useful tool, during the winter I left my desktop powered up an running that and the amount of heat it helped generate to keep my bedroom somewhat comofrtably warm was surprising... :lol:

Dunno if any of the work my computer did was worth a crap, but it did contribute, even if it's pretty much like trying to find a fart in a jacuzzi... :p

Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK South
Does the SETI group pay you for your heating ?

2cvbloke

2cvbloke

Bulbs need shelter too...
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Channel Hopper said:
Does the SETI group pay you for your heating ?
They give you points for all the processing you do, but, they're about as worthless as a politician's guarantees... :lol:

Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK South
A better representation of how much SETI detection might have covered.

But how much of the skies have researchers scoured for such radio signals? Along with his colleagues, Kanodia created a rigorous mathematical framework to analyze past SETI searches. The researchers looked at eight separate parameters, including the amount of sky a telescope searched, the sensitivity of the searching observatory and the power of a potential signal. They concluded that, of the total possible search space in which a signal could have hid, previous SETI searches have examined roughly 5.8 times 10 raised to the minus 18, or about a quintillionth, of the available space, which is itself merely a miniscule part of the huge range of potential bandwidths that scientists could search through.

Why Haven't We Found Aliens? Because We're Just Not Looking Hard Enough.