Setting up a Dish in Cyprus

Drunken_Ninja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none currently, using a Lenovo Laptop
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
I'm so happy I found this place :)

Ok I have been browsing the web for months now trying to get some information together on how to set up a dish in cyprus.

Please correct me if I go wrong somewhere...

I am located in Nicosia and it seems I need a 3.2 meter dish to get all of the channels... (although it seems a lot of people seem to have problems with Channel 4) Can this be fixed with a new installation or a larger dish?

My 1st question is are there any professionals here in Cyprus that can set up sky for me in a house I am building at the moment flat roof 2 floors? (If I'm gonna have a mortgage anyway I may as well splash out on this one creature comfort) I have seen Iceman on a few of the forums and he seems like a a real pro but does he do installations and supply equipment?

Most of the suggestions here in cyprus are that I should get the card and box myself, My father has a sky subscription in the U.K. but I am pretty sure from what I have read that I can get a freesat card if I go to the U.K. on the same address, (I don't want a subscription service)...

Now to the receiver/box I hear the old Pace box is very good but hard to obtain and also the Panasonic boxes seem to fair well in reviews, but are there any good independant boxes out there? are these the best boxes? If I get the £150 Free Sat set up from a shop in the U.K. is the box they supply me with going to be suitable for Cyprus? I don't really want to travel the U.K. to get a card and box but it seems you can pay ridiculous prices here in cyprus and the cards they supply aren't carefully selected and can die due to being found to have many registrations at the same address...

I feel I am getting fairly close to having the basic knowledge I need to ensure I get the best set up for Cyprus but Desperately need a Contact in Cyprus that can set it all up for me and maybe supply me with a card and box (if they can?)

Please help, I am sure this thread will help lots of other members also as a resource...

I really need a contact I can trust... I really need some help with this,
Feel free to contact me at (email address removed) or by replying to this thread...

Thanks again, if you guys can't help me no-one can...

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Hi Drunken Ninja
I have replied to your PM..please provide a phone number by PM so that we can discuss your options..
My advice for you would be to go for a 4.2m dish,which will give you 24/7 trouble free reception on all the available channels...3.2m almost does the job but in Nicosia it will give you problems on 2D channels certain times of the day..(channel 4 is another potential issue)

iceman

Drunken_Ninja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
I have been exploring my options and have a couple of questions...

If I get a HD Digibox and connect it to a HD T.V. (Sony 55 Inch Rear Projection LCD) without a HD subscription will it give me a better picture on regular Digital Channels? Or will a normal box give me the same quality of picture? There is a New Firmware out for the Playstation 3 which upscales your Regular DVD movies to a Simulated HD Signal Does the New HD Digibox have the same facility?

I have decided to get a FreeSat card, It seems to meet all of my U.K. Television needs with a nice selection of free channels and Radio Stations... Do I still need a 4.2 Meter dish for these channels?

Cheers

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
You can only see (& hear) the benefit of HD skybox if you are watching HD channels....Normal channels on HD box are same as other boxes..

The majority of UK terrestrial TV/radio channels are on Astra 2D which requires a 4.2m dish in Nicosia/Cyprus for trouble free reception....

Drunken_Ninja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
So I will Just get a regular box to save cost... Sending you a Pm Iceman... :)

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Drunken_Ninja said:
So I will Just get a regular box to save cost... Sending you a Pm Iceman... :)

yes,a regular box will do the job for you....Different skyboxes have different tuners which some are more sensitive,hence sought after in fringe reception areas but you dont need to worry about that with a 4.2m dish..;)

Drunken_Ninja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
Ok thats great :) Just waiting for a reply to my PM so we can tie everything up...

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Theres also 3.7m dishes,they are good and made of aluminium and fit on a pole and i find them easier to install.
The only HD channels so far on the sky set up are pay channels,and you pay more per month for the
privilege.
The best digibox was the pace 2600,but they dont make them anymore.The latest model is okay,forget panasonic.What ridiculous price have you been quoted?
I haven't heard of any cards "dying" though
Which part of Nicosia are you?

Drunken_Ninja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
Macodinitissa but it comes under Lakatameia but could also come under engomi... My house is being built close to the American Radio base...

As for quotes don't have any yet except for the the ones from the unintelligent morons in the shops, But I'm shopping around...

Iceman has helped me out and answered a lot of my questions and can provide the goods without me having to travel to the UK to get a card, he will give me a quote closer to the time, October Probably due to the fluctuation of prices...

I Only want freesat as I don't want the hassle of a subscription, I will get AthinaSat for the rest of the goodies :) Match of the Day here I come :)

I would be interested in any quotes you might have Zorba...

I heard of a dealer that has closed in cyprus now and over 200 of the cards they dished out died/reported/caught, One of the reasons I will be choosing FreeSat...

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
zorba said:
The only HD channels so far on the sky set up are pay channels,and you pay more per month for the
privilege.

Except for BBC HD which is broadcast FTA and can be received on the Sky HD box without any card at all.

zorba said:
The best digibox was the pace 2600,but they dont make them anymore.

There's still a thriving market for them here in Spain - second hand ones with a guarantee go for over EUR200. I personally sell several every month. No more modern box (*) can touch it in terms of sensitivity, especially with the (for us) very tricky north beam.

(*) Except the Thomson HD box, for which there is a small, but definite market for use as a standard box with a Freesat card and the added bonus of BBC HD (see above).

Drunken_Ninja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nicosia, Cyprus
billnot said:
(*) Except the Thomson HD box, for which there is a small, but definite market for use as a standard box with a Freesat card and the added bonus of BBC HD (see above).

but with a freesat card do you get BBCHD? i thought there was a 10 pound charge per month to even receive the hd signal via sky...

By the way whats the advantage of a 4.2 size dish over a 3.7 here in cyprus?

Your comments about the HD box make a lot of sense, I will have to consider getting one...