Setting up a monoblock

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
Can anyone advise me on how to set up a monoblock for reception of Hotbird and Astra 1?.
I cant decide whether the dish should be aligned to Hotbird and the offset part on Astra 1 or the opposite way around.
Which is better?.

And on another note, is there any other combination of satellites that they can be used with?.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The monobloc in its most common European form has a 6 degree spacing, so any two satellites with that spacing are feasible, dish size of course may be a limiting factor.

On most monoblocs, the 13E side is the default and this should be the one with the primary focus.

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
Thanks for the quick reply Rolf,
so should i align it to Hotbird with the part of the monoblock that will be secured by the lnb holder and then off set the other side to Astra 1?.

Also with an 80 cm dish, would i be able to get Atlantic bird 3 at 5 degrees west and Express 3a at 11 degrees west?.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, set the Hotbird side in the clamp, all you will need to do then is twist the LNB in the clamp so that the Astra side is slightly higher.

Don't think that the other combination is feasible, as the 11W footprint is not aimed here.

TVDX

Reaction score
Website
bitent.cjb.net
Hi again Rolf,
i set up my monoblock which is a Diseq 2.0 model.
I followed your advice and set the Hotbird part of the device into the clamp and the Astra side off to the right.
I aligned the dish to Hotbird to the point where all Hotbird channels are perfect.
Now I use a Humax VA-FOX and the Antenna Alternative 1 is Hotbird and Diseq A.
My Antenna Alternative 2 is Astra 1 and Diseq B.
When i switch through my Hotbird channels they all come up fine, when i go through the Astra 1 channels there is a reading for signal strength which is low, and the Signal quality is 0.
What am i doing wrong?, i thought once it was aligned to Hotbrid the other would fall into place?.

When i go to the two Antenna Alternatives you can switch the LNB frequency from Universal to various other number 5000, 10000 etc., when you do this the Diseq option becomes avaible and is set to enabled. But i dont know what frequency to put in for the LNB which is like a regular 10.75 to 12.5 or if i even should have to do that.

Can you offer any help?.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It should be universal, LO Low 9.750, LO High 10.600