Setting up a satellite dish for freesat!

Bristles

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, tripod for caravan use, Humax recorder Inverto 0.2
My Location
Kent
Hello,

Please could someone tell me what I should be doing.

I don't know if I'm a little thick but I am somewhat confused. We are going to Tours in France hopefully later this year in our caravan. When I come to set up my dish I presume that if I stand facing due South then with the aid of a compass turn as best I can 28.2 degrees East of South (slightly to the left) and at an elevation of 29.3 degrees according to dishpointer I should be in the close vicinity of where I should be. Now, if I look at dish pointer it say's the Azimuth True is 144.7 and magnetic is 145.4 as measured from due North but neither of these figures added to 28.2 degrees add's up to 180 degree, so do I elevate up to 29.3 and then go 28.2 East of South or do I go up 29.3 and either 144.7or 145.4 form due north?

I hope this makes sense.

Hopefully this should sort out my last doubt's.

Many thanks in anticipation to anyone that replies

ATB Rob.

(going offline now till about 16.00hrs)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Dishpointer is right!

The actual Azimuth depends on your own location - if you lived at a longitude of around 28 degrees East of the Meridian, then to get Astra 2 you'd have to point the dish due South ie zero degrees (give or take the magnetic variables!!)

Also, bear in mind that your dish has an LNB arm that is offset by about 25 deg, so your dish face should actually be set to 29.3 - 25 = 4.3 deg (don't worry about the precise figure, as you might have a couple of degrees error in the verticality of the mount and so need to "tweak" by experiment anyway)

So, the dish face will be barely up from vertical

Attachments

• Offset Dish.jpg
    Offset Dish.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 67

Bristles

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, tripod for caravan use, Humax recorder Inverto 0.2
My Location
Kent
Tivù said:
Dishpointer is right!

The actual Azimuth depends on your own location - if you lived at a longitude of around 28 degrees East of the Meridian, then to get Astra 2 you'd have to point the dish due South ie zero degrees (give or take the magnetic variables!!)

Also, bear in mind that your dish has an LNB arm that is offset by about 25 deg, so your dish face should actually be set to 29.3 - 25 = 4.3 deg (don't worry about the precise figure, as you might have a couple of degrees error in the verticality of the mount and so need to "tweak" by experiment anyway)

So, the dish face will be barely up from vertical

Thanks very much Tivu. Fingers crossed I should be ok now. Have a good weekend Rob.