Setting up a system to receive FTA footy

StuL

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I've been looking through the thread below and I reckon I'm more confused than before I started reading it :D Here is the thread: http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=8605

What I want is to be able to watch FTA channels that show footy but to pay as little as possible (I've heard that Ebay is my friend in this case :D) being as I'm only 16 and living off me spends :D

I have no idea what I'll need besides a dish and box, talk of LNBs, etc just confuses me :( So advice on that front would be much appreciated (a shopping list would be brill :D)

It appears that a channel called "TV Sport RO" at 5'East is a good channel for the football. Any other suggestions? I don't particularly want to be clambering up ladders each weekend to move the dish around (heights and meself don't get along too well :'() so I'd prefer just to get it set at one satellite. Which do you recommend. If it helps, my team is Manchester United.

Thanks a lot for any help :)

Stu

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Hi Stu,
First of all have a look at www.knplogic.co.uk , and www.satfootball.com,
to find out which sats have the most f.t.a. footy on.
Cheapest option would probably be;
f.t.a. digital sat receiver + 80cm( or zone two minidish would probably do it) dish pointed at 16 degrees east, for Top channel, which has premiership matches at the w/ends.
A lot depends on location and which satellite you want to view, as to what dish size you need.

StuL

Reaction score
prof,

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Just had a look at the two websites you've listed and done a quick tally. TV Sport RO has come out on top by miles so that would be the one I'm aiming to receive.

If it helps, I'm in Manchester which is in the North West of England (no sarcasm meant by the way, not sure where you live :)).

Thanks
Stu

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Born in Manchester m8, now nr Macclesfield.
TV sport Ro will eat into your pocket money with size of dish you would need, at least
1.2m, I think.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
As Prof says that is the cheapest option weather you decide to watch TV Sport on Sirius or Top Channel on Hotbird, as for the moment they are both free to air but you must always remember that it can always change, and they could become encrypted
at anytime.
Still looking on the bright side, if one of them are encrypted in the future, you can always swing the dish around to the channel.

StuL

Reaction score
prof said:
Born in Manchester m8, now nr Macclesfield.
TV sport Ro will eat into your pocket money with size of dish you would need, at least
1.2m, I think.

:'( You've gotta be kidding?! 1.2m :-ohmy

Are there any footprints for this satellite? I searched this afternoon but had no joy :(

OK, if that is the situation for TV Sport RO (not giving up on it just yet but open to more possibilities), how many games per weekend would I expect to get on 16E (that's where Top Channel is, yes?).

Thanks for any info :)

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
Just been reading some other threads re: tv sport Ro and dish size.
You might just be able to get it with 80 cm dish, but again it comes down to location,
not only where you are in the country, but where you are in the city or town, eg;
I can pick up most channels on hotbird on a sky mini dish where I am now,
When I lived a mile down the road I needed 80cm dish.
www.lyngsat.com for frequencies, and I think footprints.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

StuL

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies :)

I've just gone to the sirius website and looked at the footprints for Sirius 2 on the FSS Europe beam (where TV Sport RO is located) and got this image:

img_s2_fss_europe.gif

Looking at that diagram, I would say that I am in the 42,5 region quite safely (may possibly get away with 44,5 but not sure). However, looking at the second link that rolfw posted, I'm no clearer as to what size dish I would need. Anyone care to translate please? :D

Thanks a bunch :)

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
Following the advice of rolfw, you should look for the intersection of the EIRP figure from the beam plot, with the DTH line:

pal27.gif

For an EIRP of 42.5 dBW, the DTH line is intersected at a dish size of approx 1.4 m.

StuL

Reaction score
Very interesting. I've been told on another forum that all I'll need is an 88cm dish to receive TV Sport RO in Manchester.

This is extremely confusing :( From 88cm to 120+cm :( Anyone have this setup in Manchester or the North West?

philip24

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think the chart that guiri has shown is for an analogue channel. On rolfw's link, it also displays a "Euro DVB 33" channel with a Symbol Rate = 27.5 MS/sec.

This is more appropriate. From this an EIRP of 42.5 would require a dish of about 75cms.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi StuL. Although I'm in the South, you should be able to pick up TV Sport (RO) with a 90cm quite easily. The point to bear in mind is the location of your dish. i.e on the house or in the garden. If you fix a dish to your house then most council regs limit the size to 90cm and it must be below the highest point of the roof. So, unless you are putting a dish somewhere in your garden, a 1.2m is out of the question. I don't think you need one that size anyway. So you need a receiver, 90cm dish, LNB (e.g. invacom 0.3), CT100 cable and connections. Something like that, I'm sure others will have a view.