setting up a used H-H mount

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
Looking for some help, i have purchased a used system comprising of a Echostar 3000ip receiver,triax 95cm dish and a supermount 90u H-H mount. My question is: How do i setup the dish? The system was left pointing at the hotbird sats but my wall is west facing and the original position was south facing, the dish, H-H mount and wall mount were removed as one piece, so nothing has been adjusted as yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :) I guess i must have been so excited with my new toy that i missed the "how to" section lol :rolleyes: Anyway after a quick read, my old days of playing with sat stuff all came flooding back, so i decided to pop the dish and mount up but then time caught up so i just left it aimed at 30W for the evening ;) all channels loaded up fine except TP 87 (11615 H) I doubled checked the LNB settings which were fine, i then searched for the channels manually but still no luck? So i connected my Sky digi-box to the sat cable, put the details in and hey presto there was the full channel line-up! O-no So have i missed something? (Receiver details in first post)

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Not really my area of expertise, but my first reaction would be to make sure that all the software/ECM/Settings etc are up to date. Perhaps one of the other members can help.

You're lucky with Hispasat. I live on the side of a hill and 30 deg W is tantalisingly just about on my horizon. I'm still fiddling with the mount to see if I can locate it. Now if I can just fell that tree at the top of my garden.............. Essential equipment for all satellite enthusiasts: a chainsaw.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
30W is always a bit more than 30W Wolsty (its actually nearer 32 W as the crow flies)

Can you see 27.5W ?

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
I've found nothing W of 12.5 degs. There are two possibilities:

1. Everything W of 12.5 degs is below my horizon - which I doubt.

2. My mount is not yet accurately set up - which is more likely, since I can get an improvement on 28 deg E by flexing the dish down. Problem is, since my location is slightly greater than 5 deg W, 12.5 deg W isn't far enough to the west for me to observe much change when I pull on the dish. So I can't work out which of the three adjustments to tweak. Any suggestions?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you have to move the dish down to get an Eastern satellite better , the whole mount neds to be moved a smidgen clockwise on the post. Try very small steps to get an improvement and recalibrate the 5East signals so the dish looks as though its at top of the arc when receiving them. Next satellite to look out for to prove alignment would be 18West and Prima TV (low symbol rate )

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
That's clockwise looking down on the mount?

Why 5 deg E? Surely the dish should be at the top of its arc when pointing at 5 deg W, which is almost directly south of my house.

Is there nothing on 15 deg W?

Sat_Crazy

Reaction score
wolsty said:
Not really my area of expertise, but my first reaction would be to make sure that all the software/ECM/Settings etc are up to date. Perhaps one of the other members can help.
Thanks for the advice :) I did a software update yesterday which didn't help, i also reset the receiver, again to no avail but i reset again this afternoon and added the channels manually and whoopy-do-da they have arrived! Only thing is, Triple X isn't showing on the list :rolleyes: so i will check again after midnight ;)

You're lucky with Hispasat. I live on the side of a hill and 30 deg W is tantalisingly just about on my horizon. I'm still fiddling with the mount to see if I can locate it. Now if I can just fell that tree at the top of my garden.............. Essential equipment for all satellite enthusiasts: a chainsaw.
I know how you feel, the only area i have to mount (and conceal) my large dish is down behind my garage, where the dish sighting is slightly restricted by my neighbours hedge. However, come the warmer months i plan to sweeten up said neighbour and make good use of my hedge trimmer :D

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
@ Sat Crazy

Glad to have been of help. Happy viewing.