ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
FortecStar LifeTime Classic
My Location
belfast
can't get any reading from multimeter.
not sure if i'm using it rigt or that there is no power going to lnb.
althought i have checked in the setting the power should be going to it.

anyway, have given up on it and ordered a new receiver...O-st

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Check the multimeter is working on a torch battery, or similar, on 20v range. You should get a reading.

Then, testing sat receiver with the tiny bit of cable going into lnb socket, you must have a channel selected, even though there's no lnb connected! Check the receiver is expecting a signal, ie says "no signal", or whatever yours does!

(make sure your temp tiny cable isn't itself shorting the lnb output! With power off, test the resistance between conductors. A low or zero reading means you've got a short, probably a wire whisker between the conductors).

Also check the inner conductor is going right into the lnb socket, make sure it pokes about half an inch out of the f plug.

If there's still nothing out of lnb socket, then it seems likely the receiver is faulty, possibly the result of shorting the lnb socket when you were originally setting up. Probably still repairable, but needs fault finding skills.

If so, then sorry, you've spent a bit extra, but at least know what's happening!

(PS, what make of receiver? About how old?).

(PPS, if feeling brave, you could remove top cover from sat receiver, and check volts are actually going into the lnb f socket. It's unlikely the socket itself has failed, they're robust, but possible; it would be a shame to throw away the receiver just for that! However, be careful not to touch anthing around the switch mode power supply, if it's exposed, as there's 400v dc around there, highly dangerous!).

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
hi spiney

checked the multimeter using a battery and i do get a reading (at least something is working!).

in the testing of the receiver, i can't switch it to a channel as all the channels have been wiped from my system when i reset it to factory defaults :-doh!!

it is a fortec star 5100 Ultra and it's barely 2 years old.

not too keen on taking the cover of and testing as I wouldn't have the skill.

it probably is damage repairable but again i don't have the required skills.

anyway thanks very much spiney and everyone else for your assistance . i have learnt quite a bit on fault finding etc.

G0JCN

Reaction score
Website
www.mlovatt.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Home brew PC, Fortec Star FSCI-5100 plus + ultra sat RX. triax 110 motorised dish
My Location
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Just a thought, and you have probably checked it already ...... the Fortec will shut down the lnb voltage if shorted, but will re-set and work again when mains has been removed for a minute or two. Have you pulled the plug out? simple idea but worth a thought.

Martin

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
hi martin

have unplugged the unit several times and i'm still getting the same probs.

thx

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
ah, we're making progress ...

ok, the Fortec does have output current limiting, so you're unlikely to have accidentally damaged it, although possible .......

And, I don't know, but it might output no lnb volts if no channels selected! So, input a few transponders - anything at all on www.satcodx.com will do since you're not actually trying to receive them - so that there's something in the channels database, then select a channel and see if there's any volts on lnb output as above .......

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
hang on, this is a bit trickier than I thought, but I think we're still ok ......

1) The Fortecs have current limiting, and so if shorted you may have made the receiver "run a bit hot", but it should be still undamaged.

2) If there's no channel selected, because none are stored, then many sat receivers switch off the lnb output volts (because then there's no point!). For example, my Comag does that, although there's nothing in the manual to tell you that's what happens! Almost certainly, this is the reason there's no lnb volts.

3) In which case, to get lnb volts, you have to put "something" into the channels database, ie, values the receiver will accept as a "valid" channel.

4) I've looked at the Diamond user manual, at www.fortecstar.com . This says you can enter channels manually. So, either,

a) just invent 2 "fictitious" channels, using random numbers, having vert and horiz polarity. As long as the receiver "accepts" these values, it doesn't matter that no such transponder and channels actually exists, as you're only trying to get lnb volts, not receive any real transponder!

:cool: If the receiver won't accept random values, then try inputting actual real trasnponder values from anwhere on www.satcodx.com (obviously, you don't have to be able to receive the channels, it's just to get lnb volts). You might also have to enter pids to make the receiver "store" channels.

c) If neither of these works, ie you can't store any channels at all, then go into one of the blind scan modes. Again, it doesn't matter that there's no lnb connected, and no sat signal, all you're doing is making the reciever put volts on lnb output.

one of the above - a,b,c - sould produce measurable dc volts.

Don't panic, whatever's going on, it's unlikely that you've broken the receiver!

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
hi Spiney!

thx for the feedback.

will try these steps tomorrow and let you know how i get on

many thx:)

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
success! got everything working!

thx spiney for all your help. much appreciated! give yourself a HUGE pat on the back.

once i was able to enter some channel info and recut new cable i got a signal to the LNB after that everything fell into place.

was able to use the SAT finder to point to hotbird 13e

as i stated before ,learnt some very useful things during this exercise.

once again Spiney, many thx for your input.

you da man!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ciarank

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar 5100 Ultra
My Location
belfast
have a very small problem now!!

have purchased a fortecstar lifetime classic from ebay as i thought my 5100 was faulty:-doh!

any takers?

yours for £35 exc posting!!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Well Ciarank, you're quite welcome, that's one of the points of websites like this, I think ....

Most people are much more interested in cards and cams and keys, than in theory and circuits, and I'm not a cardman (can't be bothered to get the bits, then keep entering codes and keys, when there's plenty of FTA stuff anyway, at least for my tastes).